Job Category: Operations
Location: Richmond, VA, US
Job ID: 821845-102365
Division: Online Services Division
Global Foundation Services is the team behind the cloud. GFS is responsible for delivering over 200 Microsoft web portals, Live and Online Services around the world including infrastructure, security and compliance, operations, globalization, and manageability. Our focus is on smart growth, high efficiency, and delivering a trusted experience to customers and partners worldwide.
The Datacenter Network Technician will assist the onsite DCS teams with the increasing demand relating to deployments, to reduce post deployment escalations and troubleshooting, to increase the first-time accuracy of network deployments, to increase the speed and efficiency of data center installations and to help bridge the gaps in network deployments.
As a local resource to the DCS hardware installation team, the Datacenter Network Technician will be available for issues regarding project workflow management, network topology and troubleshooting, cabling, redundant connectivity, power and cooling. The Network Technician will work closely with the DC TPM, FPM and Core Services teams, with the GFS HDS team and with the GNS teams, including the Implementation, Core and Design Engineering teams and the Operations team. This role will be local to the major data center teams and available to other DCS teams by region.
* Ability to manage, prioritize and successfully execute multiple concurrent mission-critical server deployment projects.
* Leadership and effective coordination capability to deliver upon established SLAs
* Ability to communicate technical and business problems in a non-technical manner
* Must be extremely detail oriented with strong written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills
* Ability to coordinate and host conference calls and escalation bridges with internal customers and senior management
* Experience with Cisco and other first tier network equipment manufacturers
* Ability to adapt to new toolsets and business management applications
* Proficiency with MS Office Applications
* Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a dynamic and high-pressure environment
* Flexibility to work off-shifts as requested or dictated by the flow of business
* Strong understanding of Ticketing or Workflow Management Systems and Tools
* Strong understanding of Configuration Management Tools and Information
Required Basic Qualifications:
•BS in CS, Engineering or related field. MS strongly preferred. Cisco CCNA or CCNP certification desired. Equivalent work experience of a minimum of 5 years acceptable.
•Minimum of 3 years in a large scale production data center
•Must possess at least the following competencies
•Cross boundary collaboration
•In-depth knowledge and experience in the following technologies: network routing/switching, Load Balancing, Fiber Cabling Standards and testing, Copper Cabling Standards and testing
•Previous experience working in a large data center and or proven experience working on large diverse networks.
•ITIL v3 Foundation and/or MOF Certifications
•Network Engineering certifications
•Experience as a network engineer
•Hardware certifications with servers (HP, Dell) or storage equipment (EMC, NetApp)
•Minimum of 2 years of experience in production or pre-production environments
•Minimum of 2 years of experience in customer service roles or similar functions
Candidates must be able to meet all federal government security screening requirements as indicated for this role. Federal security screening requirements call for applicant to verify U.S. Citizenship. Additional customer screening requirements may include additional items such as, but not limited to: specialized agency background checks (either national or local) and fingerprinting, as well as the ability to obtain a government personnel security clearance. All employees hired into roles supporting Cloud Offerings will also be required to pass Microsoft background checks prior to the start of employment and every two years thereafter.
Microsoft is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) and strongly supports diversity in the work place.
Microsoft - 20 months ago