POSITION SUMMARY: The Recovery Specialist is responsible for investigating, evaluating and resolving subrogation and salvage recovery actions on behalf of Citizens Insurance that include low to moderate technical complexity. Has claims payment authority for claims expenses as designated by management. The position mandates successful completion of all requirements of Fundamental Claims School, which includes obtaining an overall passing score.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: THE FOLLOWING ARE THE USUAL, BASIC AND ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE POSITION. THESE FUNCTIONS ARE NOT TO BE CONSTRUED AS AN EXHAUSTIVE LIST OF ALL RESPONSIBILITIES, DUTIES, AND SKILLS REQUIRED.
- Model ethical behavior and execute job responsibilities in accordance with Citizens core values and ethics policies.
- Direct front line investigation to determine liability and recovery potential.
- Identify carriers of responsible parties.
- Determine liability, subrogation and contribution potential.
- Direct the preservation and management of evidence.
- Hire experts and identify resources for specific activities to further the investigation of a subrogation claim.
- Coordinate with salvage vendors and direct the handling and disposition of salvage recoveries; including insured buybacks.
- Assign, manage and direct litigated claims and use of experts.
- Verify the nature and extent of the loss by obtaining and reviewing appropriate records and documentation.
- Research recall information, successor corporations and official records; conduct investigations based on information obtained.
- Negotiate and settle subrogated claims in accordance with Citizens’ policies and procedures.
- Assist claims department in identifying responsible parties and advancing theories of liability/negligence.
- Research, analyze, and interpret policy language and state law as it applies to submitted claims.
- Participate in planning strategy and negotiating within scope of authority.
- Participate in the training and mentoring of strategic business partners and internal staff.
- Document all information that is relevant to a claim and run reports as required.
- Keep current on industry activity and trends.
- May participate in catastrophe planning and participates in catastrophe response.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Proven ability to effectively interact with external business partners.
- Ability to evaluate detail with good analytical skills.
- Ability to exercise independent judgment.
- Ability to recognize problematic situations and put into effect creative solutions.
- Strong negotiation and customer service skills.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
REQUIRED EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
- Associate’s degree with skills transferable to insurance OR two years experience relevant to position OR combination of two years in college education and work experience relevant to position.
- Three or more years of property/casualty claims recovery experience or related experience.
- Must possess a valid, active and appropriate Florida adjuster license by first day of employment and maintain it as a condition of continued employment. Appointment required.
- Within 90 days of employment, must successfully complete all requirements of Citizens Fundamental Claims School which includes obtaining an overall passing score.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Active Florida license 620 or 644
- Industry certifications (CSRP, CPCU, PCLS)
- 5 or more years of property claims recovery experience or related experience.
Ability to sit for long periods of time, hear and converse over the telephone, and key frequently on a computer. Position also requires the ability to work in a highly energetic and flexible work environment. Position also requires ability to travel overnight on a limited basis.
Citizens Property Insurance Corporation - 20 months ago