Under minimal direction, applies technical and operational knowledge to configure, operate, and maintain information processing and telecommunications systems; analyzes performance statistics to support tuning, automation, and optimization activities; establishes, composes, and maintains security, capacity, and business continuity controls and documentation; interacts with an operating company or business segment to gain an understanding of the business environment, technical requirements, and organizational direction; collects, defines, and organizes detailed user requirements; defines, plans and deliverables for assigned projects; understands and complies with project budgets; conceptualizes, constructs, tests, implements, and/or operates integrated infrastructure solutions; recommends training plans; and leads continuous improvement activities.
In this position, the Network Trouble Resolution Technician is responsible for troubleshooting and resolving problems with the equipment deployed in Sandia network environments. Review and resolve network related incident reports (expected to resolve a high percentage of problems, but are allowed to escalate problems to Sandia staff or Network Advanced Field Operations II staff). Make routing and switch configurations changes. Remove/redeploy, sanitize network hardware and remove cable infrastructure. Coordinate with desktop support staff for trouble resolution. Coordinate with Telecommunication Infrastructure Design staff to resolve issues with wiring and cable installations. Use electronic instruments to isolate, analyze and resolve network malfunctions at the cable and wire level. Use remote and local access methods to access the internals of network devices to isolate and resolve malfunctions. Troubleshoot any IMAC issues including pathway. Coordinate with desktop support to resolve passive optical network issues and document work performed (including issues) in incident report workflow log prior to closing incident report or transitioning work to another team.
· Fostering of excellent relations with the Customer and the team on behalf of MTS.
· Basic hands on O&M experience with network switches and routers
· Basic hands on experience with passive optical networks and time division multiplexing
· Basic experience using network management tools
· Basic experience using the OSI Model and its functionality
· Basic experience supporting large scale multi-vendor local and wide area networks
· Basic knowledge of network security
· Basic experience testing networks and evaluating test results to understand why the system passed or failed
· Basic knowledge of cable standards
· Experience analyzing data traffic taken from capture/traces
- Must have strong computer skills including Microsoft Office Suite experience
- Must have an strong understanding of the OSI model
- Excellent knowledge of the following tools/systems:
- Custom in-house developed applications
- INC 1340 SONET Management System
- KiWi Server
- OOB (Out of band) server
- Secure CRT
- Sniffers OPNet/VNE
· Must be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q Clearance.
· Strong computer skills with emphasis on applications are required.
· Ability to successfully handle multiple priorities simultaneously is required.
· Must have a valid US passport
· Ability to work extremely flexible hours and support on-call duties and shift work may be required.
· A valid driver’s license is required.
Mutual Telecom Services Inc. (MTS) - 21 months ago