Our current opportunity is available nationwide.
Senior Director of Operations
The Senior Director of Operations, a member of the senior management team is responsible for the overall management of practice operations within assigned sites. The Senior Director of Operations will serve various roles within the client sites that may include but not limited to a role of Operations Consultant, VP Physician Services, Executive VP/Director, Interim Chief Executive Officer, Operational Assessment, productivity analysis and other roles as assigned. The Senior Director will partner with site medical directors to provide leadership and strategic direction, ensure outstanding customer service, actively recruit physicians to meet market demand, and administer clinical and administrative processes that complement the delivery of high quality and cost effective, customer-focused patient care. In addition, will recommend strategies to enhance and/or grow physician services, establishes business plans and monitors the overall performance of physician services over time. The incumbent may oversee local site managers and act as a liaison providing administrative support for day-to-day activities within each practice location. In this leadership role, the Senior Director is responsible for the integrity of operational processes both administrative and clinical, patient access, budgets within areas of responsibility, human resources, compliance and regulatory standards, participation in physician and staff recruitment and managing income distribution plan with assigned physicians. The job responsibilities may vary depending upon each client engagement.
The Senior Director Operations will report to the Chief Operating Officer.
- Provides day-to-day management and/or operating oversight to practice managers and medical directors.
- Develops and implements a vision and business/operating plans targeted to promote the growth and enhancement of physician services. In this regard works in partnership with the organization’s leadership to enhance the future affiliation and integration of physicians.
- Manages practice sites within state and federal regulatory guidelines.
- Upon establishment of a Management Service Organization, MSO, directs the MSO and oversees the provision of MSO services for selected independent physician practices.
- Manages personnel and oversees the professional development of the physician and administrative leaders responsible for the operations of physician services.
- Establishes physician compensation and benefit programs under the guidance of the Physician Compensation Committee and the Professional Affairs Committee. Oversees the short and long term execution of those plans.
- Develops and implements physician service standards and operating systems to enhance the effectiveness of physician services including information management, office management, scheduling, patient service and other operating improvements.
- Leads the physician employment initiatives conducting group practice assessments and other due diligence processes and recommends employment offerings.
- Leads the quality experience initiatives for physician service operations. In the role of VP Physician Services oversees the development of quality programs, orchestrates major process improvement initiatives, develops and oversees the implementation of new customer experience models and provides quality outcome reports to the public and other major constituencies.
- Ensures the existence of state-of-the-art systems for tracking, evaluating, and communicating patterns in care delivery through which clinical value to the community and payors can be demonstrated.
- Participates in payor contract negotiations and contract compliance activities for physician services.
- Participates in risk management related activities targeted to proactively minimize risk and promote the safety of patients, families, employees and others.
- Participates as a team member of various teams to create innovative solutions associated with the provision of medical care and the strategic development of physician leaders.
- Participates as a team member of the Senior Leadership Team orchestrating the development and integration of the patient care experience across the organization.
- Serves on the Board of Trustees, committees and groups associated with physician services and physician leadership development.
- Participates in regional and nationally based physician administrative forums and educational programs.
- Monitors operations within each practice site to ensure that patient access meets defined standards and that daily service is customer-focused.
- Prepares monthly operations report and presents results to management, physicians and committees.
- Follows organization guidelines, negotiates local equipment and lease contracts for assigned areas of responsibility.
- Oversees the establishment of internal controls for compliance and develops tools to monitor controls.
- Prepares capital requests to be modeled by finance by working with the management team and physicians.
- Consistently administers human resources policies and procedures throughout all practice sites. Partners with site Medical Director to develop practice-specific annual budgets.
- Monitors ongoing monthly performance and makes appropriate practice adjustments to ensure budgetary and operational success.
- Collaborates with other members of the operations and financial team to deliver consistent, fiscally responsible, and constantly improving quality care.
- In conjunction with other members of the senior management team, develops an operational plan that establishes clearly defined performance standards, metrics and workflows that can be tracked against timelines to evaluate the organization's performance at all times.
- Masters degree and/or advanced professional credentials or 5 years of practice management engagement leadership/management (40+ doctors).
- Demonstrated superior client leadership.
- Ability to work independently with minimal or no supervision.
- Prior experience with Physician Practice Management or Physician relations.
- Proven to have successfully growing and developing an employed physician model within a health system.
- Experience working in physician-led, integrated healthcare delivery organization a plus.
- Proven experience developing and implementing operating plans, and analyzing financial and quality data; experience in developing and/or operating management service organizations beneficial.
- Proven knowledge of various physician compensation plans, incentives and contracting arrangements.
- Demonstrated experience with managing multiple medical practices simultaneously.
- Ability to implement centralized processes in a large complex environment.
- Demonstrated success in yielding unprecedented results within the area of health care operations management.
- Ability to communicate effectively and articulate all relevant operational perspectives.
- Proven physician relation skills.
- Proven engagement with physicians, and ability to provide valuable insights and logical explanations when faced with difficult questions.
- Proven ability to be a creative an innovative thinker.
- Ability to develop computer work sheets and presentations.
- Proven commitment in a team setting, and ability to serve as a member of the Clinic management team.
- Previous experience working within a health system environment, while not required, is preferred.
- Experience as a successful influencer who can interact effectively with diverse groups of stakeholders such as other physicians, healthcare administration, and staff.
- A proven leader in demonstrating how to build a partnership between physicians and administration.
- Proven communication skills, including listening and presenting.
- Ability to build trust and confidence with utmost integrity.
- Proven knowledge of how to get things done in a complex organization.
- Ability to facilitate and lead successful outcomes on such matters as physician compensation that is mutually satisfactory to all stakeholders.
- Ability to lead change and achieve support for change; builds consensus.
- Strong customer service-focus for patients and employees.
- A proven strategic thinker with ability to see big picture.
- Proven business acumen and analytical skills.
- Ability to be patient yet persistent when appropriate.
- Takes accountability and responsibility for own actions.
- Proven success as a team player who can build collaborative relationships across the organization.
- Ability to understand value of technology and able to address issues of costs, benefit/risk analysis.
- Proven credibility with physician constituencies.
- Ability to motivate others.
- Proven success working towards a goal(s); ability to take initiative.
- Proven ability to handle complex, ambiguous and changing environments.