This is advanced technical engineering work supervising an operational section or performing complex independent technical review or design work of similar responsibility.
Employees in this class are responsible for planning, coordinating and reviewing the work of subordinate employees engaged in planning survey, design, review, construction, operations, maintenance and administration of public works projects, programs or systems. Emphasis is on coordination and control of line staff efforts in technical engineering, cost, feasibility, construction, operations and maintenance of public
Employees occupying this classification who receive their Professional Engineering certifications are eligible for additional earnings. If the additional earnings are accepted, the employee will be expected to perform as an Engineer of Record, signing and sealing documents, etc., if the assigned work requires such professional endorsement.
• 10 years experience in the design, review or construction of Public Works projects, which includes 2 years of technical supervisory experience, or
• Graduation from an accredited college or university with major coursework in Civil Engineering and a basic understanding of the use of CAD systems; and six (6) years of experience in the design, review or construction of Public Works projects, of which should include two (2) years of technical supervisory experience; or
• An equivalent combination of education, training and/or experience.
The department is also requiring possession and maintenance of a current, valid Florida Driver's License.
• Supervises, plans and directs the activities of an engineering or survey section.
• Designs and prepares plans, specifications and cost estimates for highway, bridge, water supply, sanitary sewage and drainage construction and prepares reports on plans and specifications.
• Directs the planning and supervision of construction and resident inspection of utilities projects or highway, bridge and related public works projects.
• Supervises, plans and directs the operation and maintenance of major public works facilities, systems, programs or operations including highways, streets, drainage, water supply and utilities facilities.
• Supervises, plans and directs and engineering administration section responsible for engineering feasibility reports, special assessment projects, land use permitting, site plan reviews or water and navigation projects.
• Performs complex technical development and/or review of engineering specifications.
• Manages, supervises, coordinates, directs and reviews the actions, practices and procedures for surveys required for the design or construction of Public Works bridge, roadway, street, highway, drainage, utility, dredge and fill projects.
• Provides professional and technical guidance in the preparation of maps, sketches, drawings, property descriptions, legal descriptions, certified corner records, payment quantities and as-built documents.
• Responsible for affixing signature, data and seal as evidence of authenticity of multiply surveys, descriptions, reports and other documents as required by the Florida Statutes, Florida Administration codes and local ordinances as required for various public work projects.
• Performs related work as assigned or required.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
• Knowledge of chosen field of practice in civil engineering and the principles of civil engineering in other fields of practices.
• Knowledge of modern engineering practices and technical procedures as they apply to public works or utilities.
• Knowledge of modern developments, current literature and sources of information in public works engineering.
• Knowledge of modern office practices and procedures and the ability to plan and direct the work of engineers, contractors, technicians and clerical personnel.
• Knowledge of the principles and practices of land surveying depending on area of assignment.
• Knowledge of the laws and Florida Statutes pertaining to area of assignment.
• Skill in the use of engineering instruments and equipment and ability to utilize computer applications to engineering design, drafting, mapping and plans.
• Ability to give technical and professional review of a wide variety and large volume of engineering plans, specifications and related documents.
All interested candidates must complete an application and a supplemental questionnaire. If your employment application and supplemental questionnaire does not provide all the information requested in the appropriate space, your name will be removed from consideration. Answers to all requests for information must be shown on the application and supplemental questionnaire. Answers such as "see resume" or "see work history" will not be considered. A resume may be added to the application, but cannot be substituted for a completed form.
Pinellas County, FL - 20 months ago