The Director for Business Development and Faculty Engagement ('Director') in the Office of Technology and Business Development (OTBD) is responsible for developing and directing a team of experienced and productive Business Development Directors, and overseeing the processes and systems specific to the management of key relationships with faculty inventors and the commercial marketplace.
The Director leads the team of Business Development Directors as they marshal their portfolio of assets from disclosures to deals (including: IP and Tangible Material Option and Licenses, Industry Research Collaborations and other Commercialization Arrangements), and facilitates the team's engagement with essential internal and external experts (e.g., Patent and Contract Attorneys, Scientists, Market Analysts, Negotiators, etc.), as required, to help ensure a favorable outcomes for all parties. This individual is a key member of the OTBD's senior management team and reports directly to MSSM's Vice President for Technology Transfer and Business Development.
1. Directs the day-to-day activities of a team of business development and technology transfer/licensing professionals to manage new and existing inventions and commercial arrangements and to achieve individual and team goals in commercialization of MSSM IP assets.
2. Recruits, develops and mentors business development personnel/team.
3. Facilitates engagement with internal and external experts, as appropriate, to ensure the timely and effective execution of the overall technology transfer process; identifies and removes process barriers; regularly report-outs to senior team and VP.
4. Personally manages of a portfolio of IP assets as well as oversees the management of the entire portfolio of technology disclosures and corresponding IP.
5. In partnership with the VP and other MSSM senior leadership, develops and manages communications to departments and institutes to facilitate positive engagement across Mount Sinai offices and departments (Grants and Contracts, Clinical Trials Office, Development, etc.)
6. Represents MSSM technology and business development at local, regional, national and international meetings as needed.
7. Performs other related duties and leads initiatives as assigned.
Masters level education with PhD in life sciences field preferred.
10 years in technology transfer, licensing, investing, business development and related fields.
Certified Licensing Professional (CLP) preferred.
Excellent leadership, management, team building.
Excellent interpersonal and relationship management.
Excellent written, oral communication and presentation.
Excellent project management.
Extensive experience with licensing, patenting, business development and technology transfer.
Clear understanding of commercialization and product development criteria.
Knowledge of scientific concepts and related commercial area.
Mount Sinai Medical Center is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. We recognize the power and importance of a diverse employee population and strongly encourage applicants with various experiences and backgrounds.
Mount Sinai Medical Center--An EEO/AA-D/V Employer.
Mount Sinai Medical Center