Applies knowledge of Solaris/Linux servers and related systems to evaluate and maintain the Global Banking and Markets technical environment. Working closely with the Platform team lead and other team members, proactively investigates all aspects of the environment such that resolutions minimize downtime to the firm and are permanent solutions. This position requires moderate supervision and performs other duties as assigned. The qualified candidate will need to be willing to work hours typical to an investment banking/trading firm out of the RBS Americas Utah location.
Play a key role in an effort to migrate to a follow-the-sun support model for the existing global Solaris and Linux infrastructure to insure that the firm is operating in the most efficient and cost effective manner. Candidate must have a strong working knowledge of, and ability to, network Solaris and Linux based computers efficiently and reliably and to insure that solutions are implemented per engineering standards. Must understand and be able to work in a heterogeneous computing environment that includes Windows, Linux, Oracle, Sybase, SQL, and other trading floor technologies. Expertise with building, implementing, and operating monitoring solutions for a Solaris/Linux based server environment essential.
Provide day-to-day support for the Solaris/Linux environments. This individual must have a strong knowledge of Solaris/Linux and a working knowledge of Oracle, Windows, data networking and trading floor technologies and how to implement highly automated solutions.
Create and manage all facets of the environment to insure that they are proactively managed to create an efficient and cost-effective environment.
Participate in development of and regularly test disaster recovery methodologies that are self healing and transparent to the user community.
Proactively instrument the infrastructure to provide early detection and warning of potential problems. This will include an understanding of current usage patterns and other capacity issues.
Proactively investigate all computer related issues such that resolutions minimize downtime to the firm and are permanent solutions.
Consult with other members of the technical staff on a regular basis to arrive at quick resolutions to technical problems. In this role the candidate must have a detailed understanding of the Solaris/Linux OS and a broad exposure to sophisticated Oracle environments, trading floor technologies, Windows, data and voice technologies, etc…
Provide technical support for internal and external client inquiries in person and via telephone concerning systems operation; diagnose system hardware, software, and operator problems; and recommend or performs minor remedial actions to correct problem based on knowledge of system’s operation.
Perform various special projects within Technology Services as assigned.
Other duties may be assigned.
Experience within a large financial institution or in a trading floor environment highly desirable.
• 3-5 years experience with Solaris operating system (up to version 10) on broad range of Sun SPARC hardware and PC based x86 hardware as well.
• Experience with NIS, NFS, Automounter, Jumpstart, DNS, SMTP, BSD printing, Disk Suite; Borne shell scripting; performance monitoring; general problem resolution (software and hardware).
• Linux – RHEL 2.1;3,4,5
• VERITAS suite of products – Volume Manager, VxFS, NetBackup
• Perl & various scripting/development tools
• An ability to interact with and help clients with varying degrees of technical sophistication
• Ability to learn new technology rapidly is critical
• Proficient in documentation and report generation
• Ability to accomplish projects independently involving a variety of computing technologies
A Bachelors Degree in MIS or Computer Science or a minimum of five years as a Lead/Senior Engineer in the financial services sector is required.
• EMC SAN (DMX, Symmetrix CLARiiON)
• NetApp Filers
• Experience with the IBM Tivoli system management/performance monitoring application and how to tie it into a Solaris/Linux environment
• Understanding of project management skills and techniques
• Exposure to Cisco hardware and software
• Exposure to MSSQL, Sybase, and Oracle RDBMS (basic DBA tasks such as creating tables and accounts)
• Exposure to web servers, e.g. Apache
• Strong analytical and problem solving skills; ability to work both independently and as part of a team
• Candidate will be required to perform frequent out of hours work