See Experience/Education Requirements.
- Bachelor degree in Engineering, Computer Science, related curriculum, or an equivalent combination of education and technical training/experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential functions of the job.6 years experience in the installation, configuration and maintenance of Redhat Package Manager (RPM)-based Linux distributions (RedHat, SuSE) to include: See Other Requirements
Perform the necessary leadership and technical oversight to provide operational support for the production High Performance Computing (HPC) environment. Under the technical oversight, draw upon the operating plan, design specifications to leverage enabling technologies in meeting the desired goals, objectives and strategies of the Computational Fluid Dynamics, Simulation, and modeling engineering business areas. Responsible for the optimum integration of business applications to high performance computing technology.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
1) Assume the responsibility for the day-to-day operations of Gulfstream's production HPC cluster.
2) Troubleshoots and maintains the Infiniband network.
3) Assists end users running applications on the HPC cluster.
4) Provides third level support for end users who experience problems on engineering workstations.
5) Assists with the mentoring and professional development of junior level HPC administrators.
6) Manage, maintain, monitor, and control interactive and batch processes, both scheduled and unscheduled (including on-request processing).
7) Complete engineering-defined batch processing and backups in the correct sequence and within the established time periods.
8) On an ongoing basis, suggest improvements to processing capabilities and efficiencies through system tuning and other hardware and software optimizations and improvements.
9) Perform regular monitoring of utilization needs and efficiencies, and report regularly on tuning initiatives.
10) Perform proactive failure trend analysis and root cause analysis for all system failures
11) Produce trend reports to highlight production issues and follow predetermined action and escalation procedures when issues are encountered.
12) Monitor, verify, and make appropriate adjustments to support proper application executions.
13) Provide technical solutions that meet the performance and processing objectives of the business areas.
14) Perform upgrades thoroughly and accurately that comply with corporate policies and industry best practices. 1
5) Provide leadership to junior Administrators during system upgrades and outages.
1) Maintain technical relationships with multiple hardware and software vendors.
2) Work multiple operational windows as required to support business objectives.
3) Provide on-call support 24x
4) Develop and implement technical standards, hardware standards, and software standards.
5) Perform other duties as assigned
1) Experience should include: 4 years experience with the management of Linux-based HPC clusters. 2 years experience with high performance storage 2 years experience supporting Linux based scientific workstations running visualization applications. 2 years experience with the configuration and management of cluster scheduling software. 2 years experience managing Cisco switches
2) A Masters degree may be used to offset one year of experience; PhD may offset two years of experience
3) Continually challenged to resolve performance, quality and customer issues.
4) Regularly interface with Engineering Management and Information Technology Management, Flight Sciences engineers and scientists, internal/external partners, as well as functional department management & staff in a professional manner.
5) Good consulting, client relations skills and customer service orientation.
6) Excellent written and verbal communication skills including presentation expertise.
7) Excellent interpersonal, people and people management skills (e.g. listening, coaching, facilitating, tact/diplomacy, employee relations, development, motivation, team building)
8) Ability to present technical solutions to management, engineers, external groups and other team members in terms of business value.
9) Provide technical guidance to other administrators to ensure technical excellence and high levels of customer satisfaction.
10) Evaluate and recommend technical training and other events of interest for the technical team.