Position Information: HealthNet system Director of Safety and Standards
Basic Description: This is a joint Air Methods/HealthNet System safety position, responsible for the overall development and operation of safety initiatives within the goals and values of Air Methods Corporation (AMC) and HealthNet Aeromedical Services (including financial performance relative to safety, service/program development, distribution and promotion, employee development and recognition, customer satisfaction and regulatory compliance) as well as the standardization and implementation of policies, procedures and best practices throughout the AMC/HealthNet system.
Specialized Knowledge, Experience and Skills
(Possess the Education, Experience and Skills required to fully execute the requirements of the position)
Previous experience as an operational HEMS Pilot, Mechanic or Clinician
MS, 3+ years aviation experience and Certified Safety Professional
Credit for a College degree may be substituted for experience. Position requires daytime extensive travel among HealthNet and other AMC base locations, (OH, WV, KY) meeting sites and aviation vendor headquarters.
Computer Skills required for this position:
? Familiarity with Basic PC Skills
? Keyboarding experience
Other Required Areas of Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
? Proven ability to function at a high level under a dual reporting scheme
? Working knowledge of CFR’s and all applicable AMC and HealthNet manuals and guidance
? Detailed knowledge of FAA SMS process
? Analytical Skill Set
? Applies knowledge to new situations
? Ability to manage multiple assignments
? A proven history of appropriate judgment
? Public speaking experience
? Proven supervisory skills
? Ability to function in a team setting
? Knowledge of community resources
? Customer service skills
? A proven history of appropriate decision making
? Ability to appropriately handle employee relations
? Ability to manage a flexible schedule, including nights and weekends
? Ability to compute simple mathematic equations.
? Proven organizational skills
? Ability to solve complex problems
? History of project management experience
? Excellent written and verbal communications skills
? Ability to work independently
? Ability to write safety related articles and reports to various reader levels
? Ability to work in area of expertise (as defined in the requirements section above) as a qualified program team member on the rare occasion
Competency Statement: Must demonstrate competency through an initial orientation and ongoing competency validation to independently perform tasks and additional duties as specified in the job description and the unit/department specific competency checklist.
Duties and Responsibilities:
A. Customer Service (internal & external)
1. While working with the HealthNet base managers and the Director of Marketing and Customer Service, design, develop and operationalize initiatives, programs and activities identified within the scope of safety services for patients, employees and vendor to ensure positive outcomes.
2. Assure alignment of safety services for the customers of the department by:
a. Setting targets and expectations
b. Identifying key team members
c. Coordinating the efforts of system safety integration
3. Coordinate with the HealthNet base managers and the Director of Marketing and Customer Service to interface with and coordinate with Air Methods, flight team and communicators to resolve customer concerns, improve satisfaction and resolve services related incidents.
4. Continually review the efficiency, effectiveness and need for additional safety services. Work with base managers and Air Methods to initiate changes in the way services are provided proactively and in response to changing environments.
5. Work with base managers to develop programming in partnership with Air Methods to ensure integration, inclusion in identification and improvement of safety issues, and quality outcomes.
6. While working with the HealthNet base managers and the Director of Marketing and Customer Service, develop and/or maintain close ties to various systems and agencies within the community to ensure the goals of developed safety initiatives are met.
1. Work with base managers and Air Methods to ensure management, organizational development, and harmonization of safety functions and initiatives.
2. Ensure design, implementation and delivery of safety services in accordance with HealthNet philosophy and strategic plan and those of Air Methods. Identify and Deconflict differences between AMC and HealthNet safety and operational requirements as appropriate
3. Use a system framework to locate, plan and implement services and strategies so as to maximize reporting and response to safety and quality issues.
4. Directs processes, in coordination with base manager and Air Methods, to assure effective follow-up of sentinel events, including appropriate use of staff to develop and report out effective root cause analysis.
5. Promote initiatives to create and promote a culture of safety throughout the organization.
6. In coordination with base manager and Air Methods , plan, develop, and execute various courses, educational offerings, and continuing educational programs.
7. In coordination with base manager, oversee the development, interpretation and coordination of HealthNet policies and procedures as required to develop and implement safety related educational initiatives.
8. Develop and perform process and systems analysis to support, plan and coordinate error reduction strategies.
9. Directs the activities of the system Safety Committee to assure a comprehensive safety and environmental management program designed to foster the safety culture for employees, patients and vendor.
10. Participates in, manages activities of and provides direction and input to base Safety Committees.
11. Foster an environment that supports the analysis of errors and events and promotes the use of “lessons learned” to decrease errors.
12. Use accurate labor and productivity standards for all points of service.
13. Interpret HealthNet/Air Methods safety goals and strategic plans and develop/revise these goals to ensure that they are in proper alignment with those of the corporation. In coordination with base manager, monitor the functionality and activities of the services to ensure the safety goals are achieved.
14. Develop long-range safety goals/strategies to ensure the long-term viability of initiatives to properly position the services for the future.
15. In coordination with base manager and Air Methods, anticipate, facilitate and manage change.
16. Ensures the active participation of safety on appropriate committees.
17. Assist AMC in SMS development and implementation across HealthNet system consistent with FAA SMS expectations
C. Quality Improvement
1. Identify, in collaboration with base managers, Air Methods and other providers, system outcome indicators to assure continuous quality improvement.
2. Apply total quality concepts and techniques to improve outcomes.
3. Ensure compliance with all regulatory standards.
4. Work in conjunction with other management staff to develop system-wide policies and develop system/service group policies and procedures for assigned services.
5. Monitor and improve identified system outcomes indicators for effectiveness and usefulness.
6. Assist AMC safety department in conducting RCA and IEP functions as assigned
D. Employee Relations
In coordination with base managers and aviation vendor:
1. Facilitate the interaction of assigned systems with the larger organization.
2. Design and implement regular and dependable communication links between organizations within and outside HealthNet.
3. Demonstrate leadership of assigned system through:
a. Identification of priorities for management action.
b. Direction of assigned services.
c. Coaching of manager skill development in order to achieve successful safety related outcomes.
4. Manage and encourage the current work environments within the assigned system that promotes innovation, creativity, problem solving, conflict resolution and responsiveness to customers within and outside the service area.
5. Identify personal learning needs, plan for and accomplish the development.
6. Facilitate development of a non-punitive reporting system for adverse events and errors.
Common Duties and Responsibilities:
(Essential duties common to all positions)
1. Maintain and document all applicable required education.
2. Demonstrate positive customer service and co-worker relations.
3. Comply with the employer’s attendance policy.
4. Participate in the continuous, quality improvement activities.
5. Perform work in a cost effective manner.
6. Perform work in accordance with all pay practices and scheduling policies, including, but not limited to, overtime, various shift work, and on-call situations.
7. Perform work in alignment with the overall mission and strategic plan of the organization.
8. Follow organizational policies and procedures, as applicable.
9. Perform related duties as assigned.
This position reports to the AMC Director of Safety through the AMC Eastern Region Safety Manager and the President & CEO of HealthNet Aeromedical Services in conjunction with Air Methods. Reporting to the incumbent is the Base Safety Committees, and indirectly the Air Methods HealthNet base Safety Representatives. Provides direct reports to the President/CEO, HealthNet Board of Directors, and the Air Methods Director of Safety.
Requires proven abilities in planning, financial management, and leadership development. Requires proven abilities in designing an organization to be responsive to internal and external customers. If necessary, conflict resolution will occur between the CEO HealthNet System, the incumbent, AMC Regional/Division VP and the AMC Director of Safety. Personal Qualities: a. Demonstrates highly developed communication and interpersonal skills. b. Demonstrates highly developed human relations skills. c. Demonstrates the ability to engage in systems thinking.
d. Demonstrates proven business and financial judgment.
We are proud to be an EEO/AA employer M/F/D/V. We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing.
Air Methods - 22 months ago
Air Methods has built its reputation on a commitment to quality patient care and safety in aviation operations. Since 1980, we have been...