The incumbent in this position serves as the academic advisor for undergraduate students in the department of Government. The incumbent provides quality academic support services to undergraduate students, advises and counsels new, continuing, and non-degree students regarding their academic, professional, and career goals. The incumbent provides guidance on academic progress and issues that affect academic performance, monitoring the progress of each student in the department of Government. The incumbent helps plan and participates in on campus and off campus activities related to the recruitment, conversion, and retention of new and continuing undergraduate students. The incumbent represents SPA advisors on university wide committees and working groups as assigned by the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs.
- Bachelor’s degree with two to four years of relevant work experience is required.
- Master’s degree with study of academic advising, counseling, student development or other relevant academic educational fields is preferred.
- Strong interpersonal communication and problem solving skills with appreciation for diversity is required.
- Excellent attention to detail with demonstrated ability to prioritize and multitask in fast-paced, high pressure environment is required.
- Demonstrated ability to develop productive working relationships with multiple constituencies (students, faculty, staff, alumni, parents, and others raising questions regarding programs in the department).
- Demonstrated understanding of a university environment including the organizational, governance, and regulatory structure of major colleges and universities.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- The position may require some evening and weekend work and also involves a significant commitment of time during the summer for new student orientations.