McCarthy Building Companies, Inc. is one of America’s oldest and largest construction firms – and since 2002 has been 100% employee owned. Unlike many firms of our size, we are True Builders; a fact which our clients appreciate since they continually come to us with their most complex building challenges. McCarthy has built in nearly every state, with projects ranging in size from $1 million to $500 million in a wide variety of markets including healthcare, university, laboratory & science, K-12 education and heavy/civil. We have projects throughout the country.
Our Texas Group is currently seeking a Site Safety Health officer to work on a complex Federal Healthcare project in El Paso, TX. The Site Safety Health officer will be responsible for managing, implementing and enforcing McCarthy’s Safety and Health Program in accordance with the accepted APP. The Site Safety Health Officer must be a Certified Safety Professional (CSP) with Federal project background.
• Responsible for ensuring subcontractor compliance with the safety and occupational health requirement in accordance with Federal Corp of Engineers Safety Manual.
• Oversee the issuance of the new hire safety documents and other Division specific information to all new McCarthy employees
• Manage/coordinate Project Safety "Tool Box" Meetings with all McCarthy employees on a weekly basis
• Discuss safety with the on-site Subcontractors Supervisory Personnel
• Coordinate with Project Supervision so that necessary personal protective equipment and safety materials are utilized
• Record and forward copies of all safety related meetings, programs, safety pre-plans, inspections, correspondence, directives, citations, etc to the Division Safety Director for tracking
• Coordinate responses and compliance with requirements of inspection reports from McCarthy's insurance company
• Conduct documented Project Safety and Health Inspections not less than twice each month
• Investigate all injuries and review all accident reports, coordinating corrective measures with McCarthy employees or Subcontractor Personnel
• Lead the indoctrination of new McCarthy employees and Subcontractor Personnel into the Safety program and culture
• Post and keep current all required safety documents and literature
• Monitor protection of general public by minimizing construction hazards
• Monitor maintenance of adequate first aid supplies on the Project
• Maintain project OSHA 300 log of injuries and illnesses
• Enforce McCarthy safety policies using the company's disciplinary policy
• 10+ years of experience managing the safety efforts during the construction of large (100M+) healthcare, commercial, lab or industrial projects.
• Bachelor's degree preferred
• Certified Safety Professional (CSP)
• Ability to manage/administer safety orientations, oversee substance abuse program, investigate/report on injuries/illnesses/near misses and other to perform other various safety functions on-site
• Ability to work with all construction groups—management, owners, trades and subcontractors
• Ability to manage federal safety programs in accordance to federal guidelines.
• Must have excellent communication, organizational, decision-making and problem solving skills
McCarthy - 9 months ago