CMET/Geotechnical Staff Engineer
As a CMET/Geotechnical Staff Engineer with Terracon you will perform project management of both CMET and geotechnical projects, formulate/perform laboratory or field investigations, evaluate respective data, and prepare proposals/reports. You will also direct the efforts of a small group of company personnel on a single and/or multiple projects and ensure that all services are responsive to the client’s needs, including being on time and within an identified scope and budget. Coordinates all departmental personnel, equipment and technical experts required to complete the assigned project(s) and provides assistance in promoting other services and projects whenever possible.
- An apprentice level project position requiring production and completion of projects in field of expertise. Performs engineering calculations and developmental assignments involving the application of standard techniques, procedures and criteria in routine to moderately complex tasks.
- Consults with other technical people and supervisor on less complex projects. Complex projects usually deferred to more senior professional level.
- Abides by technical policy/procedures for carrying out daily work assignments.
Essential Functions and Duties:
- Develop plans, specifications, and inspection reports as needed on assigned tasks to see that these items are complete, accurate, and in accordance with good engineering practice.
- Is technically involved in the resolution of design problems that may include performing field investigation or inspections, detailed design work, and detailed checking of design computations done by others, or general coordination of specific design aspects into a project.
- Works closely with other disciplines on multi-discipline projects. Has some client contact at staff level.
- Implements technical requirements to complete client projects by directing field staff to sample, test, and collect data and/or document on-site activities at various client sites.
- Evaluates mostly routine laboratory and field data for inclusion in reports.
- Outlines the required investigative program(s) by selecting the proper of various alternative techniques to conduct site study in his/her field of expertise.
- Assists in compiling the scope of work for both routine and more complex lab or field investigations to measure and sample physical and non-physical properties of soil from a geotechnical, geological, or environmental standpoint or the analysis of construction materials.
- An ability to manage a small group of technicians, inspectors and/or administrative staff and direct their efficient utilization on a project, usually at the client’s site and away from the firm’s office.
- A demonstrated ability to assist the department manager and technical consultants with the establishment of major segments of the scope of a project, including an outline of tasks, staffing and equipment requirements, establish fees, scope and project budgets and outline a project schedule.
- A demonstrated ability under supervision to administer all project general and technical data and reports and to communicate orally and in writing to all parties involved.
- Under the close direction of Office Management, organizes and assembles the resources required to serve the needs of a field project.
- Continually reviews the project’s progress and evaluates technical data received from project staff.
- Under the close direction of Office Management or technical consultants, assists in the preparation of staffing requirements, schedules and other required project data, and is sufficiently familiar with all agreements between the firm and the client to effectively manage the project in a professional and economic manner.
- With substantial assistance from Office Management or technical consultants, mediates any disagreements that develop between the technical disciplines involved in a project and/or client’s representatives or contractors contributing to the progress of a project and assists in developing means by which disagreements may be settled and recorded to the best interest of the project, the client and the firm.
- Participates in the selection of key project personnel with Office Management and technical experts to ensure appropriate levels of expertise are available to serve the needs of the project requirements.
- Coordinates and conducts the necessary review of project documents with in-house consultants, client representatives, contractors and others required to work as a team on the project and gains assistance from company management when difficulties arise.
- Participates in periodic reviews of the project with respect to its schedule, design and/or construction cost, and prepares progress reports on a regular basis to company management and the client’s representatives as needed.
- Completes the project records at the close of the project, documents the required closeout data, organizes the project records and turns them over to the office responsible for the project and its permanent project files.
- Drafts invoice to client to review by manager.
- Will be expected to participate in training (internal and external) as requested by management.
- Complete safety orientation program.
- Abide by safety and personal protective equipment policies.
- Demonstrate safe work practices and avoid unsafe behaviors.
- Drive defensively, avoid preventable accidents and always wear a seat belt.
- Attend regularly scheduled safety training.
- Report all unsafe conditions to your Supervisor.
May direct the work of technicians, field crew, or drilling crew as necessary. Will perform other project duties as assigned, which may include performing field observations and testing.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
- The employee is occasionally required to smell.
- The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds, and occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Ability to prepare reports using common computer software and Terracon patented programs.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions; high, precarious places; outside weather conditions; extreme cold and extreme heat.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to loud.
- Overnight travel may be required with this position.
MS degree in Engineering with some minimal exposure to the consulting environment (i.e., summer internships, co-operative positions, or part-time work while in school), or Bachelor’s degree in Engineering with at least 5 years experience in field of expertise; or equivalent.
- Valid driver’s license (unless arrangements have been made with approval of Division Manager and Corporate).
- Engineer-in-Training is preferred.
- May be asked to acquire certifications, such as ICC Special Inspector.
We are proud to be an EEO/AA employer M/F/D/V.
In our efforts to maintain a safe and drug-free workplace, Terracon requires that candidates complete a satisfactory criminal background check and pass a drug screen prior to employment.
**No Recruiters/Agencies Please**
or field investigations, evaluate respective data, and prepare proposals/reports. You will also direct the efforts of a small group of company personnel on a single and/or multiple projects and ensure that all services are responsive to the client’s needs, including being on time and within an identified scope and budget. Coordinates all departmental personnel, equipment and technical experts required to complete the assigned project(s) and provides assistance in promoting other services and projects whenever possib
Terracon - 19 months ago
Employee-owned Terracon Consultants provides geotechnical, environmental, construction material evaluation, pavement engineering and...