This opportunity is to join the rapidly growing Fiber Optics Division of a well-known company in an exciting industry. The ideal candidate will be an entrepreneurial, self-motivated individual who thrives in a fast-paced, creative environment. The Fiber Optics division oversees the development and production of all fiber optics related products, which includes opto-mechanical components for mounting fiber optics as well as optical components. This position is for an entry to mid-level individual with a Mechanical Engineering background. The ideal candidate will be willing to work independently and within a team environment, will gain hands-on experience designing and machining high precision components as well as developing sales forecasts and product costing/pricing for new products. Mechanical designers work directly with machine shops and assembly personnel to ensure that designs will yield reliable and repeatable products. Interested individuals will have experience in Opto-Mechanical design, drafting, modeling, tolerance analysis, and machining. Hands on experience in such fields as fiber optics, and laser optics are a plus. The engineer will be responsible for managing the project from concept to finished product.
Knowledge & Skills:
- Working knowledge of 2D and 3D modeling software such as SolidWorks
- Familiarity with Thermal Analysis and ability to apply to product design.
- Knowledge of fiber optic product packaging a plus.
- Familiarity with Machine shop CNC and manual Milling and Turning and experience are a plus.
- Familiarity with dimensional tolerances and inspection techniques.
- Problem resolution skills applied to providing solutions involving new design and assembly techniques, technologies, and concepts is a must.
- Tool and fixture making experience a plus.
- Experience with Opto-Mechanical design, ability to engineer opto-mechanical systems to work with Fiber Optics and Optical components.
- Ability to draft, read and understand mechanical machining prints
- Ability to design Opto-mechanical components in 3D software with tolerance analysis, machinability, production and cost in mind.
- Experience taking conceptual ideas all the way through the product development process to market
- Project Management skills with a deep sense of ownership
- Flexibility; qualified candidates will be able to adapt to a variety of situations and projects as well as work in a fast paced environment
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical/Optical Systems Engineering or other relevant technical major required.
- Hands-on experience in the photonics industry, laser or physics lab a plus.
- Design for Six Sigma (DFFS) and Lean Manufacturing experience a plus.
Thorlabs, Inc. - 17 months ago