EMCORE offers a broad portfolio of compound semiconductor-based products for the telecom, CATV, satellite communications, video transport, defense & homeland security and solar power markets. Our two primary operating segments are Fiber Optics and Solar Photovoltaics. EMCORE Fiber Optics provides optical components, subsystems and systems that enable the transmission of video, voice, and data over high-capacity fiber optic links. EMCORE Solar Photovoltaics provides products based on its high-efficiency Gallium Arsenide (GaAs) solar cells for both space and terrestrial solar power applications. EMCORE offers a broad portfolio of compound semiconductor-based products for the telecom, CATV, satellite communications, video transport, defense & homeland security and solar power markets. Our two primary operating segments are Fiber Optics and Solar Photovoltaics. EMCORE Fiber Optics provides optical components, subsystems and systems that enable the transmission of video, voice, and data over high-capacity fiber optic links. EMCORE Solar Photovoltaics provides products based on its high-efficiency Gallium Arsenide (GaAs) solar cells for both space and terrestrial solar power applications.
The Director of Operations will lead EMCORE's solar manufacturing operations and be responsible for achieving business growth, financial objectives and operational goals in relation to productivity, safety, operating costs, quality and timely delivery of products and services to customers. This senior manager will be responsible for all manufacturing, engineering, quality, safety, supply chain and inventory management, maintenance, shipping and receiving for the facility. This person will collaborate with the Research and Development (R&D) organization and the (internal) customer base to ensure high levels of satisfaction in each area of responsibility. This role demands a high degree of competence and confidence in providing leadership and making decisions that directly and significantly impact the overall success of the business unit, making this a key role in the organization.
Responsibilities by Function:
Management & Leadership
· Provide leadership, direction, and guidance to managers and supervisors throughout manufacturing, engineering, quality assurance, safety, supply chain, inventory, maintenance, shipping and planning.
· Champion and oversee all quality and continuous improvement initiatives within the factory.
· Oversee environmental, health and safety as an integral part of all activities
· Manage and increase the effectiveness and efficiency of these organizations by driving improvements to each function and coordinating communication between support (IT, HR, Finance) and business functions.
· Manage and develop strong and effective functional teams and a cohesive operations team.
· Participate in the development of long-term business strategies and short-term business planning. Translate overall company business strategy into operational goals and objectives.
· Establish key measurements and develop/implement plans to achieve targets.
· Regularly review business performance to strategically focus management on present issues and future opportunities.
· Provide regular updates to the executive team on operational and financial KPI’s/progress against budget and goals.
· Collaborate with research and development, sales, finance, and other key stakeholders in the analysis and integration of products and/or operations.
· Perform other duties as assigned by the General Manager
· Utilize the principals of lean management to improve all production, supply, distribution, quality, and warehousing functions; optimize performance, control inventories, improve quality and provide on-time delivery of customer orders.
· Evaluate and promote best practices and optimum utilization of resources; devise standard operating practices and develop plans for the efficient use of materials, machines, capital and employees; and drive improvements through the application of lean manufacturing practices.
· Serve as the leader and catalyst to drive and sustain the cultural and technical changes necessary to make EMCORE a world class lean manufacturer.
· Maintain accountability for product line margins (deviations to standard cost), for cycle time reduction and yield improvement within product lines and for overall labor/overhead efficiency.
· Oversee financial management, budgeting and planning for all Operations departments.
· Work closely with Finance to develop accurate lean accounting, inventory control and additional financial tools designed to support the manufacturing managers and drive decisions and actions that are cost-effective.
· Work closely with the General Manager and his management team to analyze financial data, KPI’s and business drivers to provide timely and insightful understanding of the business economics, results and trends.
• 10+ years of increasing responsibility in manufacturing leadership roles, preferably in aerospace or semiconductor manufacturing industry. Experience with full operational, manufacturing, and facilities management that included manufacturing engineering. • Well-developed communication and leadership skills in a fast paced work environment heavily integrated with other functional departments and the ability to work in a team environment with frequent customer contact • Extensive Lean deployment experience and advanced Training in Lean Manufacturing, JIT or other related manufacturing flow techniques, Kaizen, 5s and other continuous improvement methodologies. Six Sigma certification desired. • Proven ability to promote transparency and effective reporting methods for audiences ranging from the “shop-floor' to the executive level. • Bachelor’s Degree in Manufacturing Management, Engineering or Business Management. • Strong financial acumen – thorough understanding of operating costs, P&L measures, budget development and oversight • Experience with ERP systems, particularly in the area of production/operations management. • Experience in supply chain strategies, product engineering, quality, continuous improvement, LEAN and/or Six Sigma methodologies. • Demonstrable success in leading engineering and/or manufacturing operations through significant change processes. • Demonstrated leadership and vision in managing diverse organizations and major projects or initiatives.
Personal characteristics required:
• Excellent interpersonal skills and a collaborative management style. • A demonstrated commitment to high professional ethical standards and a diverse workplace. • Excellent people manager, open to direction and collaborative work style and commitment to get the job done. • Ability and competence in reconciling current-state problem resolution with strategic goals. • Ability to challenge and debate issues of importance to the organization. • Active listener, coach mentality, able to constructively challenge. • Ability to look at situations from several points of view. • Persuasive with details and facts. • Ability to delegate responsibilities effectively. • High integrity, fair. • Emotionally mature, self aware.
US Citizenship mandatory due to site regulations .
EMCORE - 2 years ago