Position Title: Director of Development
Department: Constituent Programs
Division: College of Music
Reports To: Vice President for Constituent Programs
The Director of Development for the College of Music will strategically design and execute a personal solicitation program resulting in philanthropic support by maximizing the identification, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of prospects for gifts at the $50,000 and up level. This individual will secure, on an annual basis, private support at the major gift range and will also be responsible for identification of potential major gift prospects. This individual will be expected to uphold and exemplify the operating practices and mission of the Foundation.
Education & Experience
- Works with the Dean, the Vice President for Constituent Programs, and other members of the College’s development, communication and alumni team to develop and execute strategic fundraising initiatives on behalf of the College, the University and the Foundation.
- Develops, coordinates and executes an annual major gift plan of the College of Music, implementing fund-raising activities designed to meet an established monetary goal.
- Establishes new relationships resulting in philanthropic revenue, maintains existing relationships which may generate new philanthropic revenue, and provides prospect/donor-related assessments of the performance of the College of Music and the FSU Foundation.
- Identifies, qualifies and sustains a donor prospect portfolio with individuals who have a giving capacity of $50,000 or more.
- Secures gifts and pledges from alumni, parents, faculty, staff and friends of FSU
- Coordinates with FSU Foundation colleagues to identify prospects for planned giving, corporate and foundation giving, and major giving
- Coordinates an annual giving plan for the College with the FSU Foundation’s Director of Annual Giving
- Exhibits and promotes a comprehensive understanding of the philanthropic priorities of the college unit, effectively matching the specific interests of prospects to those specific needs
- Assists in the facilitation of meetings, communications, informational exchanges and project/philanthropic coordination with the faculty and faculty chairs
- Plans for and initiates direct activities with prospects that are designed to enhance the affiliation between the prospect and the University
- Prepares proposals and gift agreements as required for proper gift documentation
- Prepares correspondence with prospects and documents communications, solicitation activity and gift information in compliance with Foundation reporting guidelines
- Creates, inspires and maintains donor loyalty, interest and enthusiasm through stewardship communication and activities designed to express recognition, appreciation and the impact of their gift(s). Implementation of such a stewardship plan may include but should not be limited to letters, communication of unit or university initiatives, invitations to appropriate activities, meetings, events, student engagement or the facilitation of campus visits
- Assists in the management of all volunteer boards associated with the College
- Effectively communicates organization’s mission and represents the organization’s culture to external stakeholders
- Protects confidential information
Physical and Mental Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree required; Advanced degree preferred
- Minimum of three years of experience in major gift development in a university setting.
- Experience in a related field with basic knowledge of personal solicitation methods will also be considered
- Knowledge of or background in music desirable.
- Demonstrated, progressive experience in seeking financial support for multi-million dollar programs or initiatives required, including provide record of major gift solicitations and closures
- Campaign experience preferred
- Proficiency in the Microsoft Office products suite
- Must be conversant with FSU alumni, faculty and staff members with similarly qualified educational backgrounds
- A self-starter, comfortable working independently
- Maintain consistent and positive communication with the Dean and Foundation
- Facilitate strong communications with alumni, including letters, surveys and telephone solicitation programs
- Excellent communication skills to include effective and persuasive writing, public speaking and interpersonal skills
- Ability to prioritize multiple responsibilities
- Professional demeanor
- Careful attention to detail
- Ability and willingness to travel
- Ability to work flexible hours including evenings and weekends
- Exert up to 20 lbs. of force occasionally, and/or up to 10 lbs. of force frequently, and/or a negligible amount of force constantly to move objects.
- Involves sitting most of the time, but may involve walking or standing for brief periods of time
- Bend body downward and forward by bending legs and spine, so as to crouch or stoop.
- Extend hand(s) and arm(s) in any direction.
- Seize, hold, grasp, turn or otherwise work with hands.
- Pick, pinch or otherwise work primarily with fingers.
- Express or exchange ideas by means of the spoken word.
- Perceive the nature of sounds, receive detailed information through oral communication, made discriminations in sounds
- Clarity of vision at 20 inches or less.
- Ability to judge distances and spatial relationships so as to see objects where and as they actually are.
- Adjustment of lens of eye to bring an object into sharp focus.
- Ability to identify and distinguish colors.
- Observe an area that can be seen up and down or to the right or left while eyes are fixed on a given point.
The individual in this position will encounter a work environment as described below. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable people with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
- General office environment
- Lighting is adequate
- Temperature is regulated and moderate
- Low likelihood of unavoidable hazardous conditions
- Moderate noise
- Moderate dust
- Standard technology and office equipment accessible
- Automobile and airplane travel
Council for Advancement & Support of Education - 2 years ago
Florida State University is among the most efficient of the nation's highest ranked universities, according to a new list released Dec. 8 by...