Operations Manager provides day-to-day leadership to build strong customer relationships and support business growth to enhance profitability for Harbor Freight Tools. Handling and overseeing all the day-today processes that are carried out in the store, in the absence of the Store Manager. Position must have a strong customer service orientation to be successful. Position will be responsible for managing store personnel as appropriate including opening and closing of store. Position must be able to effectively communicate policies and procedures in a manner easily understood by associates and customers. Position reports directly to Store Manager. Position will have direct responsibility for the following areas of store operations: Cash Office, Front-end, Warehouse and Sales Floor. Position will be responsible for all Head Cashier and the Assistant Head Cashier activity. Ability to work varied hours/days, including nights, weekends and holidays as needed. Understands and adheres to Harbor Freight Tools policies and procedures including overrides/returns, pricing and inventory accuracy, training and awareness to physical safety and security.
Technical Duties and Responsibilities:
Typical Knowledge and Skills:
- Managing all day-to-day store processes, in the absence of the Store Manager.
- Oversee and monitor the Truck Receiving and Process Procedures weekly. Ensuring the 24-hour window is met for Truck Processing by utilizing all personnel assigned to the Warehouse and Sales Floor.
- Ensure the smooth operation of the purge process by following all Harbor Freight Tools company guidelines.
- Managing stock levels and making key decisions regarding freight flow from the Warehouse to the Sales Floor.
- Ensuring that proper guidelines and procedures are followed at the Front-end and Cash Office.
- Conduct monthly Audit Review meetings, ensuring and following up on identified items from most recent audit.
- Will ensure open lines of communication with the Merchandise Manager regarding the purge process.
- Managing and motivating the Team to increase sales and ensure efficiency.
- Ensuring standards for quality and customer service are met.
- Directs daily operations in order to provide quality products and services.
- Maintains and implements safety conditions and training to adhere to procedures and statutory regulations.
- Accountable for the execution of product and service quality by maintaining highest level of delivery.
- Promotes and supports workplace diversity initiatives.
- Manages by providing positive and constructive feedback to associates in order to reward, coach, correct and motivate.
- Supervises day-to-day work activities by delegating authority, assigning and prioritizing activities, and monitoring operating standards.
- Establishes a safe work environment by performing safety audits and inspections, conducting safety-related training, and maintaining on-going communications with associates.
- Directs daily operations including: cash control, planning, inventory, receiving, stocking and storage.
- Ensure proper staffing levels with trained associates.
- Maintains storage facility conditions and monitors internal quality assurance.
- The ability to meet established productivity and sales goals.
- Additional duties as assigned by management.
- Communication and Influence: Requires verbal and written communication skills to convey information that may be somewhat complex, and/or to others who may have limited knowledge of the subject in question. Role may require basic negotiation and influence, cooperation, tact and diplomacy skills.
- Analytical Thinking: The ability to systematically gather information from a variety of resources. Analyze information, identify implications of data and draw appropriate conclusions. Generate viable, alternative solutions to a question or problem, and evaluate the consequence of choosing each alternative.
- Interpersonal Relations: The ability to develop and maintain professional, trusting, positive relationships with all levels of staff, customers and vendors.
- Diversity Awareness: The ability and willingness to be aware of, understand, respect and value the diverse culture, ethnic, gender, age, education, professional, backgrounds and styles of others and to adapt ones own behavior based on that understanding.
- Customer Focus: The ability and willingness to provide excellent service to external/internal customers. This includes seeking to meet customer needs, expectations and demands quickly and effectively while remaining calm and professional. Reviewing external/internal customer complaints and taking action to reconcile the situation while treating the customer as valuable and instilling the same in their Team.
- Drive and Dependability: The ability and willingness to demonstrate eagerness, enthusiasm, optimism, and passion when working. This includes demonstrating commitment, persistence, and heightens personal effort in the face of obstacles and adversity. Pursuing excellence for self and organization, having a sense of urgency, possessing ambition and inspiring others.
- Stress Tolerance and Flexibility: The ability to work productively and effectively in a fast paced,stressful, demanding, and/or ambiguous work environment.
- Delegating and Directing: The ability and willingness to delegate the authority to complete work activities, giving clear direction to assigned tasks while monitoring performance against a predetermined deadline to ensure quality and timely completion of assignment.
- Planning: The ability to set priorities, plan, and coordinate work activities. This may include developing plans with long-range horizons based upon a sound knowledge of Harbor Freight Tools expectations.
- Team Building: The ability to motivate and guide others to work hard by building a sense of teamwork and commitment. This includes clear communication and reinforcing aims and goals of team, unity, cooperation and excellence.
- Communication: The ability to speak clearly and politely to management, associates and customers when conveying information. Always using correct grammar when speaking and never using slang terms, while targeting the amount, style and content of the information to the needs of the receiver.
Supervisor provides general direction. Operations Manager independently determines and develops approach to solutions. Work is reviewed periodically (typically at major points in the assignment) and once complete to ensure objectives have been met.
Has direct responsibility of customer contact and manages the daily operations of a store through direct supervision of non-exempt/hourly associates.
Impact of Operations Manager Decision:
Decisions are moderate in nature, influencing project schedules, operations or customer satisfaction. Errors are detected and corrected with relatively minor financial impact or effect on projects, operations or customer relationships. May require involvement beyond immediate work group to correct.
Scope of Impact:
Decisions affect own work and the work of others within the department, unit, and/or project.
- Legal age: 18 years old
- Education or Equivalent Experience: Technical, Trade, Vocational Degree or 2 years Management
- Supervisor/Managerial Experience: 2 years
- Function Specific Experience: 2 years
- Certification Requirements: May require a valid State drivers license and/or Fork Lift Certification
Work is performed in an area that is adequately lighted and ventilated.
Specific physical characteristics and abilities are required to perform duties such as above-average agility and dexterity; and long periods of walking, standing, bending or carrying moderately heavy items.
In 1977, Harbor Freight Tools had a mission to make it easier for working people to get the best value possible on top-quality tools they...