Become a part of the Department that touches the lives of every American! At HHS you can give back to your community, state, and country by making a difference in the lives of Americans everywhere. Join HHS and help make our world healthier, safer and better for all Americans.
The Indian Health Service is required by law to give absolute preference to qualified Indian applicants and employees who are qualified and suitable for Federal employment. The Indian Health Service (IHS) by law is committed to affording employment preference to American Indian and Alaska Native candidates who meet the Secretary of the Interior's definition of Indian for appointment to vacancies within the IHS in accordance with established IHS policy as outlined in the Indian Health Manual Part 7, Chapter 3. In other than the above, the Indian Health Service is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), Indian Health Service (IHS), Phoenix, AZ United States 2 vacancies
POSITION DETAILS: Two permanent full-time position to be filled in the Health Records Department.
Salary range: $28,627.00 - $37,213.00 ( Annually )
Promotion potential: None, position is at the full performance level.
Merit Promotion Position: Yes
Travel Required: No
Supervisory/Managerial Position: No
Relocation Expenses Paid: Relocation expense are not authorized and will not be paid.
Is position covered by PL 101-630? yes, (See item # 2 in the Required Documents)
Is drug testing required? No
Is government housing available? No
Is this a bargaining unit position? designate Yes or No?
Alternative work schedule, call back, standby, rotating shifts, nights/weekends/holidays? No
Who may apply section
Excepted Service Examining Plan Candidates (ESEP)
Merit Promotion Plan Candidates (MPP)
Veteran's Preference including Veterans Employment Opportunity Act Candidates (VEOA)
- visit email@example.com for more information on Who May Apply
- Position subject to background investigation.
- As part of the pre-employment process, fingerprint checks are required.
- If applicable-Selective Service registration (Males born after 12/31/59)
DUTIES: Back to top
· Protect the security of medical records to ensure that confidentiality is maintained.
· Review records for completeness, accuracy, and compliance with regulations.
· Retrieve patient medical records for physicians, technicians, or other medical personnel.
· Release information to persons or agencies according to regulations.
· Plan, develop, maintain, or operate a variety of health record indexes or storage and retrieval systems to collect, classify, store, or analyze information.
· Enter data, such as demographic characteristics, history and extent of disease, diagnostic procedures, or treatment into computer.
· Compile and maintain patients' medical records to document condition and treatment and to provide data for research or cost control and care improvement efforts.
· Process and prepare business or government forms.
· Process patient admission or discharge documents.
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED: Back to top
All applicants must meet the following requirements listed below:
- 1 year of general experience performing progressively responsible clerical, office or other work such as filing, answering phones, record keeping, providing office support, that indicates the ability to acquire the particular knowledge and skills needed to perform the duties of the position to be filled; OR
- Successfully completed education 2 years above high school, in any field, this education must have been obtained in an accredited business, secretarial or technical school, junior college, college or university. One year of full-time academic study is defined as 30 semester hours, 45 quarter hours, or the equivalent in a college or university, or at least 20 hours of classroom instruction per week for approximately 36 weeks in a business, secretarial, or technical school; OR
- Equivalent combinations of successfully completed post-high school education and experience may be used to meet total experience requirements, only education in excess of the first 60 semester hours (i.e., beyond the second year) is creditable toward meeting the specialized experience requirement.
- Males born after December 31, 1959 are required to be registered with the Selective Service System in order to be eligible for employment with the Federal Government. You may register or check the status of your registration by visiting the Selective Service website at: http://www.sss.gov
- You must meet the requirements of the job by Midnight Eastern Standard Time (EST) on the closing date: Friday, March 08, 2013
When applying for Federal jobs eligible Veterans should claim preference on their application or resume. Applicants claiming 10-point preference must complete an SF-15, Application for 10-Point Veterans Preference. Veterans who are still in the service may be granted 5-points tentative preference on the basis of the information contained in their applications; but, they must produce a DD-214 prior to the appointment to document entitlement to preference.
For more information on Veterans Preference please visit: http://www.fedhirevets.gov
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
The HHS Careers system simplifies the Federal application process by replacing the former KSA job-element statements with on-line self-assessment questions. Applicants who meet the minimum qualifications requirements will be invited to complete an on-line questionnaire assessing the following:
- Ability to prepare and maintain Health Records
- Adhere to hospital policy and procedures
- Utilize work processing and office automation software and hardware.
- Ability to organize and plan work
- Ability to deal effectively with individuals from a variety of diverse backgrounds
If found qualified, your score will range from 70-100 points (not including points that may be assigned for Veterans' Preference). We will compare your resume and supporting documentation to your responses on the assessment questionnaire. If you rate yourself higher than is supported by your application materials, your responses may be adjusted and/or you may be excluded from consideration for this job. You will be deemed well qualified if you score 85 and above.
For I/CTAP purposes, you will be deemed well-qualified if you are placed in at least the well-qualified category.
BENEFITS: Back to top
The Federal Government offers a comprehensive benefits package. Explore the major benefits offered to most Federal employees at https://my.usajobs.gov/ResourceCenter/Index/Interactive/Benefits .
If you are claiming CTAP/ICTAP eligibility, you must submit a copy of your most recent performance appraisal, proof of eligibility, and your most current SF-50 noting position, grade level, and duty location. To be considered under CTAP/ICTAP, you must be well qualified with a score of at least 85 for this position. For information on CTAP/ICTAP, visit:
Additional selections of candidates may be possible within 90 days from the date the certificate of eligibles was issued for this announcement, for filling additional or similar positions. However if there are no qualified Indian Preference candidates on the Certificate the vacancy must be reannounced.
Candidates must meet time-after-competitive appointment, time-in-grade (if applicable), qualification requirements, performance requirements, citizenship and suitability requirements, and any other eligibility requirements within 30 days of the closing date of the vacancy announcement.
Measles and Rubella immunization required for selectees born after 1957.
After you begin your employment, your continued employment is contingent upon the outcome of a complete background investigation as determined by the sensitivity level of your position.
The investigation must find that you are suitable for Federal employment in your position. If you are found not suitable, you will be terminated after you begin work. If you make a false statement in any part of your application, you may not be hired; you may be fired after you begin work; or subject to possible criminal charges.
IHS - Operated Properties are tobacco free
HOW TO APPLY: Back to top
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package, which includes the following parts:
Required Documents (Specified in the Required Documents section of this job announcement. An applicant may not be considered if proper documentation is not received.)
Option A: Online application process (USAJOBS to Application Manager) the preferred method to receive automatic updates on your application status.
To begin the process, click the Apply Online button on this page to create an account or log in to your existing USAJOBS account. Follow the prompts to complete the assessment questionnaire. Please ensure you click the Submit My Answers button at the end of the process.
Note: To return to a previously Saved or Incomplete application you may use the following link: https://applicationmanager.gov/
Your Application Package status must be Complete prior to Midnight Eastern Standard Time (EST) on the closing date, Friday, March 08, 2013, the closing date of this announcement.
Option B: Fax
If it is not possible for you to use the USAJOBS Account to Application Manager Account online application process (you have a disability or do not have access to the internet), you can apply for this announcement by completing the OPM 1203-FX form instead. Please use the following step-by-step instructions as a guide to filling out the required questionnaire. You will need to print the vacancy announcement and refer to it as you answer the questions. You may omit any optional information; however, you must provide responses to all required questions. Be sure to double check your application before submission.
Follow these steps:
Print a copy of this job announcement so that you can read the questions offline. View Occupational Questionnaire . You can obtain the OPM1203fx form at this URL http://www.opm.gov/Forms/pdf_fill/OPM1203fx.pdf .
You may submit the OPM Form 1203-FX (hard copy questionnaire), résumé, and/or any supporting documents by fax.
Faxed documents will take 2-3 business days to process. Faxed documents submitted with missing information will not be processed. The following will prevent your documents from being processed:
- If you are faxing a Form 1203-FX, do not use a separate cover sheet. Simply make sure the Form 1203-FX is on top of any other documents you are faxing.
- If you are faxing any documents without the Form 1203-FX on top, always use the official cover sheet which is here -- http://staffing.opm.gov/pdf/usascover.pdf -- and be sure to fill it out completely and clearly. The fax number is 1-478-757-3144. Feed all documents into your fax machine top first so that we receive them right-side up.
Note: If you have documents in your Application Manager account from a previous vacancy announcement they can be opened, copied and saved then reused as an upload file for this vacancy. Uploading your documents will speed the processing of your application for this announcement.
- Not using the special cover page mentioned above.
- Missing, incomplete, or invalid Vacancy Identification Number 853920
- Missing or incomplete Social Security Number or name
PLEASE NOTE: In Section 25 of the Occupational Questionnaire, you may notice that the numbering restarts with number one. When entering your responses on the 1203-FX form please continue to enter your responses on the next available number within this section. The numbers on the 1203-FX will not match the Occupational Questionnaire once it restarts with number one.
Submission of a resume' or a 1203FX form alone IS NOT a complete application. This position requires the completion of additional forms and/or supplemental materials as described under Required Documents section. Please carefully review the complete job announcement and the "How to Apply" instructions. Failure to provide the required information and/or materials will result in your application not being considered for employment.
If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please notify the Human Resources Office, Aaron Arviso, (602)248-4180, AARON.ARVISO@IHS.GOV. "The decision on granting reasonable accommodation will be on a case-by-case basis."
You must provide the required documents listed below during the online application process either through the document upload process or fax using instructions outlined in Section B above. If any of the following are missing when the announcement closes we will deem your application incomplete:
- ___ Resume -You are encouraged to use the USAJobs Online Resume Builder to ensure that all required information is in your resume. If you use your own résumé, curriculum vitae, or any other written form you choose then you must describe your job-related qualifications that include beginning and ending dates for paid and non-paid work experience, hours worked per week, month and year of employment for each job title listed.
- ____ Childcare Addendum form must be included for this position and is available for downloading at: http://www.ihs.gov/NonMedicalPrograms/DHR/Documents/ChildcareAddendumOMBApprovedForm.doc
- ____ Indian Preference applicants If claiming Indian preference for the first time, or if you have no previous documentation of preference, applicants must provide a completed copy of the current Form BIA -4432, Expiration Date: 11/30/2014, "Verification of Indian Preference for Employment in the BIA and IHS Only." The current form expiration date, 11/30/2014, does not need to be used if an older Form BIA-4432 is submitted with a signature that predates the expiration date on the form. Indian preference will not be given unless a properly signed and dated form is submitted with your application, including any verification by an authorized Tribal Representative or BIA official of tribal enrollment records, documentation of lineal descent, state or academic records that document you posses one-half degree Indian blood from a tribe indigenous to the United States, as well as official records that establish your degree of Indian blood, such as census records. You must also complete the family history chart if necessary. (See the form for detailed instructions for the completion of the BIA form 4432 located at: http://www.bia.gov/cs/groups/xbie/documents/text/idc015515.pdf or please contact your tribal enrollment officer or your local BIA Office for your most current form.)
- ___ Transcripts - Transcripts must be provided if substituting education for experience and/or if education is required for this position. Unofficial transcripts are acceptable but official transcripts will be required before entrance on duty.
- ___ Veteran's Preference -If claiming Veteran's Preference, include a copy of DD-214 Form, and SF-15 if claiming 10 point Veteran's Preference http://www.opm.gov/forms/pdf_fill/SF15.pdf .
Applicants may submit optional documents and place these under Miscellaneous: such as performance reviews, copies of job-related certifications, cover letter, letters of recommendation, SF-50. Suggest documents submitted are job-related and current.
Indian Health Service - 19 months ago
Indian Health Service's mission is to provide health care and related services for American Indian and Alaska Natives, as well as their...