Headquartered in Englewood, CO, with Satellite uplinks throughout the U.S. including Gilbert, AZ and Cheyenne, WY, EchoStar is a billion dollar company with over 5,000 employees worldwide and more than 25 years of experience designing, developing and distributing award-winning television set-top boxes, services and related delivery products for television. EchoStar Corporation (NASDAQ: SATS) is a premier global provider of satellite operations and digital TV solutions that enhance today's home entertainment lifestyle. It’s wholly owned subsidiary, Hughes , is the world's leading provider of satellite broadband for home and office, delivering innovative network technologies and managed network services for enterprises and governments in more than 100 countries.
Among the many offerings of this combined powerhouse in broadband data and video are HughesNet ®, the market's #1 high-speed satellite Internet service; Sling Media's award-winning SlingLoaded ® technology; Move Networks' adaptive bit-rate streaming technology; and Troppus’ software suite that combines a Client Application, an Agent Application and a powerful Semantic Knowledge Management System and Blockbuster.
In this position, you will be responsible for Linux system administration, design and system deployment involving Linux-based MPLS/IP technologies, MPEG 2/4 encoding and decoding technologies interfacing to terrestrial and satellite data links. Assist and drive the end-to-end investigation of system anomalies and resolution of service outages not resolved through standard troubleshooting methods. Must be detail oriented, must have excellent oral and written communication skills, and be willing to work shifts/on-call schedules.
Duties and Responsibilities
Skills and Qualifications
- As part of a team, participate in the design and deployment planning of MPLS/IP and Commercial Insertion networking systems related to the digital video compression architecture.
- Assist in system troubleshooting of complex service degradations and outages.
- Establish and maintain strong, effective communication with vendors to support efficient project planning and deployment.
- Maintain knowledge of technical reference manuals to determine, evaluate, and apply appropriate diagnostic commands to systems to verify nature of problem, and use diagnosis tools to determine appropriate solutions.
- Contact vendors when system anomalies are identified and work with the vendor to resolve anomalies through testing and final system Engineering Change Orders.
- Coordinates WAN/telecommunications equipment installation and maintenance with the telecommunications department.
- Meet deadlines and complete assignments in a timely manner while maintaining quality standards.
- Document new system deployments and software upgrades so that new Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) can be developed or updated when new system deployments occur or system upgrades are implemented.
Knowledge and Skill Requirements:
- BSEE, BSIT, BSCS, or BSIS degree preferred; Fifth Year College or university program certificate; or eight to ten years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- CCNA/CCNP certifications preferred.
- 5 years of applicable experience is preferred.
- Unix/Linux/Red Hat certification preferred.
- Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of the company.
- Requires significant knowledge of networking and computer related skills including familiarity with Windows operating systems and TCP/IP.
- Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
EchoStar Corporation (EchoStar), formerly EchoStar Holding Corporation, will operate two primary businesses: digital set-top box business...