UPMC Mercy is hiring a Full-Time Phlebotomist to help support the MERCY-Phlebotomy Services Department for its UPMC Mercy location. This position has the responsibility and accountability for accurately performing phlebotomy and specimen collection of inpatients and/or outpatients. Samples collected by the phlebotomist are used for laboratory test procedures that are essential in the diagnosis and treatment of patients. The Phlebotomist may also perform computer, courier, and clerical functions that are essential to laboratory operations. The Phlebotomist works in conjunction with and under the supervision of the Medical Technologists. Afternoon shift; 1p-9:30p, every other weekend.
- Interact with all laboratory customers courteously and professionally; responds to telephone inquiries in a timely manner.
- Adhere to established laboratory and hospital policies in areas of procedures, methods, quality control, quality assurance, safety, including hand hygiene techniques and proper isolation precautions., compliance and personnel policies.
- Following proper patient identification procedures, procures appropriate blood specimens by venipuncture, heelstick and fingerstick. As required, instructs patients on the collection procedures for laboratory specimens that are obtained by the patient, and may collect samples other than blood.
- May also perform arterial puncture following strict collection and post collection guidelines .
- Specimen collection may be performed at off-site locations. Transports specimens from on- and off-site collection areas to the appropriate section of the laboratory following established safety procedures.
- As required, performs related clerical duties, and utilizes various computer functions to accurately enter demographic information into the information system(s), enters test orders, receives, cancels, charges, and credits tests, while ascertaining adequacy of patient information as well as sample identity.
- High school diploma or equivalent is required.
- Certification from an accredited Phlebotomy or Medical Assistant program is preferred.
- Minimum 6 months experience performing phlebotomy is preferred.
- Medical terminology knowledge and laboratory information system experience preferred.
Phlebotomy Technician (PBT(ASCP)) or equivalent certification preferred.
UPMC is an equal opportunity employer.
UPMC - 2 years ago
UPMC is a $10 billion global health enterprise with more than 55,000 employees headquartered in Pittsburgh, Pa., and is transforming health...