Represent and advise the various CNA insurance companies on complex corporate, employment and insurance coverage issues, in state and federal courts throughout the United States.
The attorney who fills this position will be assigned corporate, employment and insurance coverage litigation and opinion assignments. The attorney should have experience handling a wide variety of general corporate and insurance coverage matters and experience litigating complex disputes in various jurisdictions. This attorney should also have experience advising employers on a variety of employment and benefit matters, and representing employers in administrative and civil proceedings. The attorney should be capable of developing and executing a resolution strategy, and be responsive to client requests and reporting requirements. The attorney should be able to work on a variety of assignments and be capable of clearly communicating opinions and recommendations. The attorney will be expected to bill a minimum of 1800 hours and record billable hours on a timely basis.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
1. Supervises preparation of the defense in litigation. Works with outside counsel to develop the defense; briefs and guides them and supervises their work. Directs outside counsel on whether a case should be tried or settled.
2. Handles the high exposure cases ($100,000 or above) and/or the most complex or specialized cases.
3. Tries cases including court appearances, trial preparation, motions, discovery and negotiations.
4. May supervise, train, or mentor other attorneys.
5. Provides research, legal analysis, factual information, counsel and guidance on legal questions or issues.
6. Prepares position papers on various legal issues and interpretation of contractual provisions.
7. Works closely with external clients while resolving legal issues. Responds to government regulatory agencies.
8. Works independently in resolving legal cases with minimal supervision.
May perform additional duties as assigned.
Director or above
Skills, Knowledge & Abilities
1. Senior level advanced knowledge of the theories, principles, practices and procedures of litigation management within an insurance organization.
2. Excellent verbal and written communication, negotiation and presentation skills.
3. Excellent negotiation, consultative and facilitation skills with the ability to effectively interact with all internal and external business partners.
4. Ability to exercise independent judgement, without associates and to work with and maintain confidential and sensitive information.
5. Excellent analytical and problem solving skills, and senior level skill in managing ambiguous situations and issues.
6. Proven ability to take a proactive long-term view of business goals and objectives in order to achieve strategic business results.
7. Proven ability to creatively and efficiently resolve complex insurance coverage disputes
and employment-related issues
8. Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite, Westlaw and other business-related software.
Education & Experience
1. Bachelor's degree with JD, and admission to the Illinois bar.
2. Typically a minimum of seven years of claims and/or law firm experience with a proven track record of results litigating significant, complex employment, corporate and insurance coverage disputes.
3. Typically a minimum of 5 years related litigation/trial experience or minimum of 5 years of specialization experience.
4. Trial experience preferred.
Law-Clm Lgl-Strat Lgl/Cov Lit
CNA - 20 months ago
copy to clipboard -