Hiring Range: $55k - $72k
Responsible for the acquisition and editorial/product devlopment of trade book authors and assets--particularly in the Non- Fiction and Inspiration categories--and the ongoing management of those assets and authors.
- Actively acquire new titles and authors--consistent with publishing strategy and financial goals
- Provide timely communication with current and potential authors and their agents regarding the status of their proposals and/or contracted projects.
- Participate in creative development of trade books.
- Negotiate with authors and/or agents in a manner that is fair and within financial benchmarks as indicated in the signed P/L statements (IPA).
- Attend writer's conferences and industry trade shows as needed to access authors and potential projects.
- Assist Publisher on developing trade book strategy.
- Oversee editorial development of books acquired.
- Participate in creative development of covers for books acquired.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES (Personal Characteristics):
- Proven success as Acquisitions Editor and broad experience in publishing overall including marketing and sales
- English or Journalism degree or equivalent work experience.
- Complete knowledge of the ABA and CBA trade book market, leading authors, and publishers
- Strong communication, interpersonal, and problem solving skills
- Excellent editing skills
- Strong negotiation skills
- Able to work with authors to develop excellent content
- Able to work with others in a team environment
- Ability to juggle multiple assignments at any given time
- Able to manage and coach creative people and desire to see them thrive
- Creative, visionary thinker
- Well Organized
- Strategic planner
- Relationship Builder
- Networking ability
- Compatible with Zondervan Shared Values
Zondervan is an EOE