The Auton Lab (www.autonlab.org) is seeking a creative individual who is enthusiastic about hardware for high performance computing to manage and improve its computational environment. Responsibilities will include: design and administration of the computational environment (computer hardware, storage array, software/libraries, etc); investigation, purchasing, and installation of new hardware; researching new software and hardware technologies; maintenance and support for Linux and Windows desktop users; assisting in developing and deploying cutting edge research software.
- Education: Bachelor's degree in computer science or related field, or equivalent in education and experience.
- Experience: 3+ years of Linux system administration and/or systems analysis experience.
- Demonstrated knowledge of Linux administration issues, tasks, and tools
- Basic MS-Windows administration knowledge;
- Demonstrated understanding and use of software engineering concepts, practices and procedures
- Good oral and written communication skills
- Ability to participate in cross-function teams
- Physical Mobility: Able to sit and work from a computer monitor for long periods of time. May have to travel to campus or other locations.
- Environmental Conditions: Usual office setting.
- Mental: Ability to work under pressure, pay attention to detail and meet inflexible deadlines and deal with difficult individuals while maintaining composure.
- Other: Some weekend and evening hours may be required.
- Experience: 4+ years of experience as a professional GNU/Linux and Windows administrator. Experience negotiating purchases with vendors. 3+ years of experience programming in a high level language such as C, C++, or Java.
- Skills: Java servlet programming. Experience with Unix and Windows systems programming interfaces (eg fork, mmap, CreateProcess), Matlab/Octave, PostgresSQL/MySQL, S/R/SAS/SPSS/Stata, Gnuplot. Systems experience with Tomcat, Apache, Qmail, VPN, Gentoo, User-Mode-Linux, Webmin/Shorewall.
Regular Full Time
Minimum Education Level
Bachelor's Degree or equivalent
35595 - 64070 US Dollars Annually
Carnegie Mellon University - 7 months ago
Carnegie Mellon is a private research university with a distinctive mix of programs in engineering, computer science, robotics, business, pu...