Senior Software Engineer - Kernel Engineering
Posted Date: 11/7/2012
Cost Center: 215
About the Job
As a senior software engineer on the Server Platforms team, you will be responsible for building and supporting the Akamai versions of standard Linux kernel distributions, while ensuring the integrity and operational robustness of the system on the various hardware platforms on which it is deployed. You will participate in activities such as updates, security fixes and/or optimizations, performance benchmarking and integration testing of Akamai extensions to the kernel API, required to expose the kernel status to key applications so that the application can cooperate with the kernel functions to maximize throughput.
About the Team
The Server Platforms team develops and supports communications and the data collection infrastructure for Akamai's distributed platform. This infrastructure is comprised of a kernel, an operating system, and a series of core components which serve as a baseline for the rest of the Akamai networks. These systems distribute configuration data, control information, and customer traffic to Akamai's distributed servers. They also publish, aggregate, and deliver internal system and customer data for use by internal and customer-facing monitoring, alerting, and reporting applications. These systems are among the largest in the world, which brings unique engineering challenges for developing distributed, scalable, and fault-tolerant systems.
In this work opportunity, you will participate in:
- Supporting a project for improving the kernel performance on the ESSL network and helping provide protection against DDOS attacks.
- Rebasing the Akamai Kernel API tailored to upstream changes in the baseline kernel, which often requires re-integration and functional unit testing as codelines change.
- Evaluating kernel and system performance on a variety of hardware platforms and under various workloads.
- Benchmarking the Akamai kernel against all variants of our hardware platform, to determine the correct sysctl tunings that will maximize performance on each.
- Incorporating publicly available drivers for special hardware as necessary and testing to ensure proper functionality and performance
- Tracking, evaluating, and integrating new technology.
- Troubleshooting issues as they arise either in QA or on the production networks.
- Evolving the world's largest distributed computing and content delivery systems.
- Modifying standard Linux kernel distributions to suit Akamai’s business needs.
- Supporting other Akamai groups when they have questions on system services and kernel features.
- Education: Bachelor's degree in either Computer Science or a technical discipline.
- Minimum 5 years overall experience.
- Minimum 3 years experience developing and maintaining the Linux operating system.
- Minimum 3 years experience with the Linux kernel, networking internals, and system programming.
- Minimum 2 years experience using the Debian component packaging architecture.
- Minimum 2 years experience evaluating, incorporating, and testing various Linux drivers.
- Minimum 3 years experience with C/C++.
- Minimum 1 year experience with Perl.
- Experience with the differences between Linux and the Windows operating system.
- Proficiency in Python and shell scripting languages.
- Ability to design tests which measure the performance of Linux under a variety of loads.
- Experience with Linux testing packages.
- Good written and verbal communications skills.
If yes, applicants selected will be subject to a government security investigation & must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information.
- Is relocation available for this position: No
- Is US Citizenship required: No
- Is a Security Clearance Required: No
No one carries more of the world's Web traffic than Akamai, so working with Akamai means you’re helping some of the world’s best known brands succeed in bringing any experience to any device, anywhere. Cloud computing, SaaS, eCommerce, online entertainment and dynamic personalized experiences are all fueled by Akamai technology. Join Akamai and you join a culture that’s extremely intelligent, strongly supportive and passionately committed to delivering world-class solutions. Some of the best minds in business, mathematics, and engineering work at Akamai – leading, learning and shaping the future of the Internet.
If you're excited by Akamai and would like to help change the online landscape please apply. No time to apply? Join our Talent Community.
Akamai Technologies is an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity employer (M/F/D/V) that values the strength that diversity brings to the workplace.
Akamai - 2 years ago