Manages the daily operations of the outside fiber plant to include engineering, permitting, contracting, designing and maintenance of new building adds and existing fiber facility relocations. Responsible for design and development of complex outside plant (OSP) equipment installations, modifications and upgrades. Maintains fiber splice records, network topography records and fiber mapping and as-builts in corporate inventory systems. Works closely with other carriers, engineering firms, local/ state agencies and building owners/landlords on new building adds and relocations.
Education and Experience
- Maintains the security of the outside fiber plant (OSP) network, either aerial and/or underground, throughout area of responsibility by managing cable location, by locating contractors and initiating protection activities. Works closely with other carriers, local/ state agencies and building owners/landlords on new building adds and relocations.
- Utilizes a variety of systems for the processing and reporting of work activities, inventorying OSP facilities, documentation of projects and managing various budgets to include but not limited to new construction and route maintenance/protection.
- Works closely with upstream groups, completes fiber verification requests, project estimations, designs, bids, permits and manages construction of new building adds. Monitors infrastructure builds and reviews/punch lists and approves work meets industry construction standards. Prepares project timelines, prepares and track budgets and provides detailed weekly status reports.
- Obtains value added contractors/subcontractors for engineering, permitting and construction of OSP infrastructure. Obtains and manages contractors for route protection. Maintains fiber splice records, network topography records and fiber mapping.
- Directs emergency restoration and mitigation activities required for the OSP network. This could include fiber optic damages, natural disasters, power failures and other events.
- Manages contract and/or employee fiber splicers. Provides on the job divisional training to employees and oversees contractors to ensure the proper method and procedures of facility protection and maintenance are followed. This includes the use of locating equipment, use of Optical Time Domain Reflectometers (OTDR) and troubleshooting tone generation/reception in field.
Knowledge, Skills or Abilities
- Experience: 5+ yrs
- Education Level: Associate's Degree
- Field Of Study: Engineering or Construction Management
- A combination of education and experience is acceptable: Yes
- Attention to detail with good organizational capabilities.
- Ability to prioritize with good time management skills.
- 5+ years of experience in permitting, engineering, contractor management, fiber splicing, project management, different types of underground and aerial cable plant installation and maintenance.
- Strong OSP construction knowledge with ability to read/red-line construction drawings to facilitate new builds, relocations and emergency repairs
- Excellent interpersonal, coaching, managerial, and leadership skills
- Ability to perform a wide spectrum of complex assignments requiring alternative analysis, innovation and judgment. Assumes responsibility for contribution to the success of major or multiple projects, and is periodically called upon to make decisions.
- Must be proficient in MS Office applications, databases, and flowcharts.
- Experience in computer aided drafting (CAD) programs.
- Ability to be on-call on a 24x7 basis.
Required to possess a valid driver's license, operate a motor vehicle - meeting company driving record standards.
- Government Security Required: Yes
While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be occasionally required to stand; walk; to handle, feel or operate objects, tools, or controls. The employee may be occasionally required to sit, climb, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, and crawl. The employee-owner may occasionally climb ladders, enter crawl spaces, exertion of force, manipulation of hand and/or foot controls. Employee is also expected to lift and/or move heavy objects, frequently weighing up to 50 lbs. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perceptions and the ability to adjust focus. Must be able to differentiate color codes. In addition, the position may require frequent movement and activity relating to using keyboards, viewing data on computer displays, and communicating verbally and in writing to the needs of others. Working Conditions: Work is occasionally performed in building settings. Outdoor work is required in the inspection of buried cable, construction sites, field facilities. Performance of the position requires working safely and may require working outdoors in all weather conditions, all noise levels, hazardous conditions, and on the full range of outdoor work surfaces. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions.
Level 3 Communications, Inc. (Level 3) is engaged in the communications business. The Company is a facilities based provider of a range of...