Did you know?
Costco Wholesale is a multi-billion dollar global retailer with warehouse club operations in eight countries. We are the recognized leader in our field, dedicated to quality in every area of our business and respected for our outstanding business ethics. Despite our large size and explosive international expansion, we continue to provide a family atmosphere in which our employees thrive and succeed. We are proud to have been named by Washington CEO Magazine as one of the TOP THREE companies to work for in the entire state of Washington!
Description of position
At the heart of every successful company’s technology services is a great database. These databases provide essential business intelligence information to all levels of that company and it takes highly skilled DBA’s to build and maintain them. To meet the challenges of Costco’s rapidly expanding data service catalog, we need to expand our existing DBA team. We’re looking for an exceptional DBA who is interested in building a DBA center of excellence on the emerging Oracle RDBMS here at Costco.
The ideal candidate will have a proven track record of having built an Oracle database infrastructure from the ground up. They must be able to demonstrate their ability and willingness to mentor and grow existing DBAs and help to bring in experienced Oracle DBAs with the appropriate skill sets to round out a successful DBA team to be able to support Costco’s move to deploy the latest database technologies.
The Senior DBA will be actively involved in the evaluation, review, and management of database resources and services across the organization in order to ensure a high level of data quality is reached and maintained. They will be responsible for the overall design and vision for Costco’s Enterprise database strategy, and may participate in multiple Modernization projects. While providing the database expertise needed for the team’s success, this individual will also be required to develop, follow and enforce database standards.
This position will require an individual who can work with minimal supervision on a wide range of projects interfacing with development teams, business analysts, IS management and members of the business community while constantly ensuring that their work is aligned with the Database Team’s strategic direction. The Senior DBA will be expected to stay current on database technology while also continuing to grow their knowledge of the Costco business.
Tasks and responsibilities
Required skills, abilities, and certifications
- Mentor existing DBAs, providing guidance on training plans.
- Assist with staffing decisions and lead hiring process
- Fosters a strong team dynamic
- Identify server hardware, software and configurations necessary for running Oracle in an optimal fashion.
- Develop new processes, utilize and refine existing processes for database software installation and configuration
- Enforce and refine database standards
- Lead efforts to develop and improve procedures for automated monitoring and proactive intervention, preventing customer impact
- Review performance stats and recommend changes for tuning database, server, and storage configurations, as well as application SQL
- Participate in periodic backup audits, including test restores ensuring all databases and associated logs are being backed-up
- Develop new backup and recovery processes that leverages new techniques and technology
- Assume ownership of database related problems; pursue problem resolution and root cause analysis
- Develops a strategy for migrating to new releases of Oracle and installing fix packs
- Coordinate interaction with vendors in critical database problem situations
- Participate in a 24X7 pager rotation, as well as providing Subject Matter Expert support to the on call DBA as needed.
- Learn and stay current on the key facets of the applications that leverage the databases being supported
- Learn and stay current on the features and functionality of Oracle
- Maintain current knowledge of industry trends and standards
- Cooperates with the Enterprise Architecture team on database technology decisions
- Develop a thorough knowledge and understanding of cross system interactions as well as an enterprise view of Costco’s data needs
- 15+ years of relational database work, at least 10 years with Oracle on Unix platforms, experience with Linux preferable
- Experience deploying a large-scale ERP solution preferable
- Well versed with all advanced features of Oracle including RAC, GoldenGate and Data Guard
- Knowledge of DB Tools/Utilities (e.g., Toad, Enterprise Manager, Utilities, SQL Developer )
- Understanding of industry best practices pertaining to Oracle
- Strong troubleshooting and proactive analytical skills to ensure minimum downtime of production databases
- Thorough understanding of Oracle connectivity at a logical and physical level.
- Must have proven ability to follow priorities and timelines
- Must have strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Must possess excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Proven ability to work independently or as an integral member of a team
- Experience and willingness to teach/mentor others in I.S.
- Ability to work well with different staff levels within and out of core competency
- Ability to translate highly technical solutions/problems to audiences at varying technical levels
- Strong ability to prepare and present technical documentation
- Ability to communicate in a professional manner when interacting across staff levels and internal/external customers
- Understand the importance of communicating risk assessment
To Apply: Email your current resume to IT_JOBS@costco.com . If hired, you will be required to provide proof of authorization to work in the United States.
Costco Wholesale - 21 months ago
copy to clipboard
Costco Wholesale is a multi-billion dollar global retailer with warehouse club operations in eight countries. We are the recognized leader...