ACLU OF TENNESSEE
COMMUNITY ENGAGEMENT ASSOCIATE
The American Civil Liberties Union of Tennessee (ACLU-TN), a statewide affiliate of the National ACLU, is seeking a community engagement associate to join the Communications Department.
ACLU-TN, based in Nashville,is a private, non-profit, non-partisan organization that works to promote and protect civil rightsand civil liberties.We pursue our mission through advocacy, legislative lobbying, litigation and public education.
ACLU-TN uses communications as a tool to strengthen ACLU’s profile, to directly impact our advocacy, legal, and legislative work, and to support our fundraising efforts.The Communications Program spearheads the organization’s public educationand oversees media communications. The Program also launches multi-media advocacy campaigns, drafts and publishes reports and other materials, manages the organization’s website and other online communications, including email marketing and social media, and keeps ACLU-TN members and supporters apprised of ACLU-TN’s work.
General Responsibilities: The Community Engagement Associate works with the Communications Director to enhance the public's understanding and appreciation of constitutional rights and the principles of freedom, justice and equality by strategically communicating ACLU messagesand engaging the public, supporters, organizational allies and the media. The Community EngagementAssociate directly contributes to this effort bydeveloping and managing ACLU-TN’s online presence and coordinating public education campaigns and programs. The Communications Program works in concert with the ACLU’s Legal, Legislative and Development Programs.
(1) Public Education and Advocacy
- Coordinate and staff public education campaigns, conferences, and programs across the state;
- Staff tables at outside events and work with volunteers to staff tables;
- Support staff and volunteers public-speaking and community appearances by providing materials and maintaining a calendar and record of events;
- Administer and grow ACLU-TN’se-mail marketing and e-action network to encourage action on specific issues;
- Organize and maintain distribution lists and databases for public engagement;
- Engage with allied organizations to identify opportunities for collaboration;
- Coordinate targeted community engagement efforts;
- Develop and maintain inventory of ACLU resources and coordinate their distribution;
- Assist Communications Director with the writing and editing of a range of publications.
- Draft web content, maintain website and track website metrics;
- Increase social media presence to educate the public and engage allies, partners, supporters and decision-makers—integrating national ACLU resources as necessary and measuringsocial media outcomes;
- Increase press coverage of ACLU’s work by maintaining an up-to-date database of diverse media contacts;
- Track ACLU-TN issues in media outlets statewide andtrack/compile press clippings in both hard and electronic form;
- Provide layout and design support for print and online publications.
(3) Other tasks as assigned by the Communications Director
- Bachelor of Arts degree and/or equivalent of education and experience with non-profit advocacy organizations;
- Outstanding written and oral communications skills;
- Experience organizing advocacy/educational events;
- Demonstrated commitment to civil liberties and civil rights;
- Creative, results-oriented, self-starter with strong attention to detail, ability to work with minimal supervision and in a team, and capacity to meet deadlines;
- Experience working with social media, such as YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, etc. to promote social justice issues;
- Excellent computer skills, including experience with content management systems and basic HTML.Familiarity with Drupal, Dreamweaver and Salsa are a plus;
- Competencywith Microsoft Office (including Access);
- Familiarity with InDesign, Photoshop and Publisher;
- Ability to work beyond 9 to 5 when necessary, with occasional weekends and travel;
- Valid driver’s license required;
- Ability to communicate in Spanish is a plus;
- A sense of humor.
The Community Engagement Associate is supervised by the Communications Director.
Salary is competitive with other non-profit organizations. Excellent benefits include paid vacation, medical and dental insurance, defined contribution plan (401k) and life and disability insurance.
Applicants should email a cover letter, resume, relevant writing sample, and at least three references to Lindsay Kee at email@example.com . Please write “Community Engagement Associate Search” in the Subject Line. Please indicate in your cover letter where you found this job announcement.
You will receive an email confirming that your application was received. We will contact you as soon as possible regarding the status of your application. Please do not contact the ACLU-TN office regarding the status of your application as unfortunately we cannot return these calls and emails.
We will begin reviewing applications on November 12, 2012. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
The ACLU of Tennessee comprises two separate corporate entities, the American Civil Liberties Union of Tennessee (ACLU-TN) and the American Civil Liberties Union Foundation of Tennessee (ACLUF-TN). Both ACLU-TN and ACLUF-TN have the same overall mission, and share office space and employees. The ACLU has two separate corporate entities in order to do a broad range of work to protect civil liberties.
The ACLU is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and encourages women, people of color, persons with disabilities, and lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender individuals to apply.
ACLU - 16 months ago
The philosopher Socrates once said, "I am that gadfly which God has given the state." While the American Civil Liberties Union...