The Assistant to the Dean provides managerial and administrative support for all internal and external operations for the College of Education, Health, and Human Development, including creating, monitoring, coordinating, and implementing CEHHD plans, databases, policies and procedures, initiatives, and confidential activities. This person leads or supports staff activities and other functions in the Dean’s Office. The ability to independently manage, oversee, and prioritize activities of the Dean’s Office, including those of a sensitive and/or confidential nature, is essential.
Directly supervises, manages and coordinates the office administrative support staff and student workers. To include management and training, scheduling, and prioritizing work assignments for efficient and effective office work flow.
Manages all front office operations, ensuring excellent internal and external customer service through desk coverage for phone calls and walk-in traffic, and provides support as needed.
Works with various budget coordinators and financial specialists within the college to help manage fiscal operations, reporting and budget planning. Ensures the successful provision of vital Dean’s office budgetary functions.
Organizes, schedules and maintains the Dean’s calendar, including scheduling travel arrangements and accommodations.
Creates and provides consistent and effective communication and technical assistance. Ensures that all staff, faculty, and administrators are knowledgeable about current events and related issues and concerns within the departments, college and university.
Effectively and actively builds and maintains positive and productive relationships with faculty, staff, administrators, and constituent groups, including education, private sector, and government officials.
Coordinates and/or performs data collection, analysis, reporting, documentation, such as those related to various accreditation processes promotion and tenure, or in monitoring the College’s goals, objectives and mission.
Manages difficult problems or provides assistance to others on difficult assignments. Maintains confidentiality of sensitive information, files and documents.
Applies functional knowledge in advising maintaining consistency for departmental staff, department heads, and faculty on University and CEHHD policies, procedures, and expectations.
Possesses a thorough knowledge of MSU Human Resources operations, including financial and strategic planning, problem solving, policies & procedures, recruitment & retention, and document production.
Must be a current employee of Montana State University - Bozeman and initially hired through an approved MSU - Bozeman search.
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience as an administrative assistant, business manager, or operations manager for a large, complex organization.
Successful experience completing complex tasks independently with minimal supervision.
Success in supervising staff utilizing strong leadership and management skills.
Related management expertise in fiscal services, administration, and human resources
Ability to obtain information from Banner and SAIS web-based reports.
Knowledge of MSU policies and procedures.
Other relevant degrees or credentials in human resources, finance, business, communication, or a related field in Education, Health, and Human Development.
Successful experience as a member of an executive management team in higher education.
Knowledge of issues related to education, health, and human development.
- Provide evidence of strong decision-making skills and initiative.
- Have the ability to work independently or in a team-oriented environment.
- Possess advanced written and oral communication, administrative, interpersonal, leadership, and organizational skills.
- Work effectively with a broad range of constituencies including students, staff and faculty, administrators, funding agencies, professional associations and organizations.
- Possess personal energy, integrity, and vision.
- Maintain effective attention to detail, meeting deadlines, and prioritizing competing demands.
- Possess skill in information research, analysis, and evaluation.
- Maintain knowledge of CEHHD and MSU policies and procedures, as well as issues related to education, health and human development within the community.
- Have the ability to train and direct the work of staff.
- Possess skills to effectively deal with sensitive or difficult situations.
- Possess or have the desire to learn skills in accounting, financial management, human resources, and other areas relevant to the Dean’s office.
In accordance with MSU policy, hiring will be conditional upon successful completion of a pre-employment background check.
Deadline for applying is Friday, March 8th, 2013 , at 5:00PM. Applications received after this deadline may not be reviewed.
To apply, submit the following :
- (1) a letter of application addressing all of the above required and preferred qualifications, and
- (2) a current resume or vitae, and
- (3) the names, addresses, telephone numbers and email addresses of three current professional references.
An application packet addressing all of the above listed items is highly encouraged. Missing materials and/or information may not be requested and may result in your application not being considered for the position.
Electronic submissions in PDF format are preferred, and must have the applicant's signature on the letter of application. For electronic submittals, please indicate "Applicant - Search #13-221" in the subject line of the email.
- Submit materials to:
- Brady Hunemuller
- Search Coordinator
- College of Education, Health & Human Development
- Reid 250
- Montana State University
- Bozeman MT 59717
In order to receive Veterans Preference during the application review process, it is highly recommended that the required forms are included at the time you submit your application materials. Click here for the forms and information regarding Veterans Preference. Important note : Your preference form is submitted to a different location than your application materials. A DD214 is not a required document.
Founded in 1893, Montana State University - Bozeman has a national and international reputation for its excellence in undergraduate and...