About Virginia Tech
Virginia Tech, founded in 1872 as a land-grant institution, is currently ranked as a Top 30 Public University by US News & World Report and a Top 30 Public Research University by the National Science Foundation. Through a combination of its three missions of learning, discovery, and engagement, Virginia Tech continually strives to accomplish the charge of its motto: Ut Prosim (That I May Serve). As the Commonwealth's most comprehensive university and its leading research institution, Virginia Tech serves a diverse population of 30,000+ students and 8000+ faculty and staff from over 100 countries, and is engaged in research around the world. Invent the Future at Virginia Tech.
Lead Web Development Software Engineer
Reporting to the Director of Online Learning and Collaboration Services (OLCS), the person filling this position will act as the development lead for all technology services provided for by the OLCS team, most notably Scholar (our Course Management System based on Sakai), but also other diverse systems such as our Online Course Evaluation System, FDI system, ElementK, and WordPress. This person filling this position will serve as a senior software engineer, which includes mentoring of other developers as well as coding. The position designs, develops, and implements web-based Java applications. Additionally, he or she will be responsible for all phases of application development, including integration with other applications and with existing enterprise systems. Position works directly with supervisor, members of a development team, and other teams within Learning Technologies (QA, support) to meet project goals with an emphasis on usability and end user satisfaction. Works directly with end users (faculty, staff, students) to determine needs for application development and documents these needs. Works to develop and design prototypes of proposed software solutions. Lastly, works closely with other IT groups at Virginia Tech to develop common skills and tools, as a technical ambassador from our group.
- Bachelor's degree in computer science, engineering, or similar field
- Significant experience in developing, maintaining, and troubleshooting complex, distributed web applications
- Proficiency in multiple programming languages including Java and PHP
- Familiarity with Java development tools and libraries, such as Maven, Eclipse, Hibernate, JSF, and Spring
- Proficiency with source control systems such as Subversion or Git
- Understanding of relational databases, SQL, and data abstraction methodologies
- Demonstrated ability to independently implement code based on high level design documentation and requirements
- Ability to work collaboratively with end users and project stakeholders and adjust design specifications based on user needs
- Demonstrated experience in good programming practices and application documentation
- Exceptional interpersonal communications skills, specifically experience in presenting technical topics to non-technical audiences
- Master's degree in computer science, engineering or similar field
- Experience working with Sakai CLE
- Proficiency in Perl, Bash, and/or Ruby
- Experience working in a Linux command line environment
- Familiarity with XML-related standards including XSD and XSLT
- Understanding of protocols related to network applications, such as HTTP, SSL, SMTP, LDAP, and SOAP
- Experience as a developer in higher education
- Experience with open source development
- Experience in human-computer interaction and/or usability
- Experience in managing small development team and projects
- Experience with designing and implementing mobile applications
- Background in contributing to strategic direction of a department.
Must have a criminal background check
How to Apply for this Job
Interested applicants should complete an online application at http://www.jobs.vt.edu, posting #0121614.
Administrative and Professional Faculty
Exempt: Not eligible for overtime
Tenure Status (Faculty Only)
Academic Year or Calendar Year
College / Sr. Management
VP - Information Technology
Job Posting Date
Review Begin Date
Restricted to university employees only?
Documents that must be associated with this posting