Information Technology is rebooting the workforce one computer, one operating system, one associate at a time. From developing new tools and implementing standards-based applications to managing Garmin servers, email and phone systems, the team uses industry-standard technologies but also creates customized programs to meet the company’s needs.
At Garmin, IT teams are comprised of associates who share the same passion about what they do every day. We offer a relaxed team environment (no dress code!) where advancement is found from sharing knowledge, not hiding it! While we promise you a lot of responsibility, you also will have the opportunity to have ownership over projects…oh, and we promise you there will be some fun mixed in there, too!
Our expanding IT team is looking for an Oracle DBA Manager at our Olathe, KS headquarters to provide timely, high quality, accurate and protected information used by the ERP system, Intranets and extranets to the IT Director. Our DBA Manager also provides support both internally and externally to ensure high satisfaction levels and works to improve the quality of systems, all while trying to cut costs and complexity. If you enjoy developing requirements, critically evaluating information and collaborating with others, then we may have a desk for you.
In this role, you'll provide operational leadership for both daily activities and strategic direction, research and recommend new technologies and solutions, plan and schedule work including allocation of resources, and providing guidance and structure for production support.
You'll also be responsible for communication information effectively to stakeholders, cross functional, interdepartmental teams, and within IT, performing tactical and strategic planning of methods to best leverage business data, and ensuring that enterprise data is widely available as required by applications include:
The Oracle DBA Manager is accountable to the Director of Information Technology for:
Communicating to the Database Administration team business requirements and priorities - including key business deliverables and expected results. This type of work is expected to account for approximately 40% of the effort in this role.
- Ensuring the business is provided with timely, high quality, accurate and protected information used by the ERP System, the intranets, extranets, and any business systems that are critical to supporting Garmin's business.
- Providing support to internal and external customers enabling the achievement of excellent Customer Satisfaction levels and identifying opportunities to extract additional value and reduce business cost and complexity.
- Optimizing and continuously improving in the quality of systems and outputs for Gamin's operations with particular emphasis upon improving data integrity and timeliness.
- Providing an environment within the team which fosters team work and career satisfaction.
- Providing operational leadership for day-to-day activities and strategic direction.
This type of work will account for approximately 10% of the effort in this role.
- Researching and recommending new technologies and solutions to meet business needs as well as understanding the nature of the work of the Database Administrators.
Exhibits a customer/supplier philosophy that emphasizes both internal and external relationships.
- Planning and scheduling work, including the allocation of resources and planning team members' work. Planning and Scheduling work is expected to account for approximately 40% of the effort in this role.
- Providing the structure under which functional and technical assistance will be provided to the business units from the database administration team, as required to service production system and data needs. Providing guidance and structure for appropriate production support is expected to account for approximately 10% the effort in this role.
- Communicating and coordinating across the boundaries of many Information Technology groups, working with multiple departments to ensure their requirements are met when asking for systems / database solutions.
- Tactical and strategic planning of methods to best leverage the use of valuable business data for day-to-day business and decision support functions.
- Ensuring enterprise data is widely available as required by applications, and is both complimentary and supportive of the short and long-term objectives set by Garmin International
- Communicating information effectively to team members and project stakeholders.
- Coordinating the database administration team to provide analysis of business and technical compatibility of systems, hardware, network, interfaces, etc.
- Coordination of global IT projects with database teams across Garmin's domestic and international locations.
- Coordinating and assisting with key system testing as appropriate, such as system integration, performance, and stress testing.
- Participating as needed or required in regular or special meetings of the IT team to address the IT strategies, their integration, their progress and/or issues needing promotion or problem-solving.
- Participating in projects and interact with all other individuals in a manner consistent with Garmin's values to ensure integrity and excellent customer service.
Identifies both customer and supplier needs and expectations and strives to exceed them.
Other responsibilities include developing a high performance team focused on achieving superior results by ensuring that each team member understands their role and accountabilities for their performance, and supporting DBA team members, peers and other Garmin associates by actively seeking feedback, building networks, sharing successes, tools and knowledge.
- Leveraging sound project management methodologies to enable project delivery.
- Daily use of considerable discretion and judgment.
- Demonstrating strong oral, written and interpersonal communication skills.
- Performing duties in a self-directed manner with minimal supervision or direction.
- Demonstrating organizational, problem solving and project management abilities.
- Demonstrating the ability to influence without direct control and/or authority.
- Demonstrate the ability to work independently and prioritize multiple objectives in a rapidly changing environment.
- Evaluate workload, available resources and to adjust schedules and priorities as required.
- Observe and evaluate project performance and provide feedback when necessary, including the provision of proper training.
- Communicate complex issues in both oral and written form in terms clearly understood by technical and non-technical audiences.
A Bachelors Degree in IT, Computer Science, Business, Management Information Systems or another related field plus 10 years experience performing a substantially similar role including work experience with Oracle application modules and tools and previous IT management experience including management of a Database Administration team in an Oracle 11i applications environment is required for this role.
Qualified candidates must demonstrate strong knowledge of methods and practices for the implementation, maintenance, and support
of information systems and databases, familiarity with SDLC, Quality Standards, and Best Practices and provide evidence of a proven track record of project delivery – including the coordination and management of projects in a dynamic, fast paced environment.
Other required experience and skills include:
Demonstrates knowledge of analysis, design and configuration of complex systems in n-tiered and Service
Demonstrated strong and effective verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills
Must be team-oriented, possess a positive attitude and work well with others
Demonstrated experience successfully coordinating teams and multiple projects in a matrix environment and/or experience with database systems delivery for internet based applications is desired.
Candidates with experience with Information Technology quality and process control tools such as CVS(Concurrent Versions Systems), Mercury ITG, automated testing tools and testing procedures including Mercury Quality Center, Sarbanes-Oxley (SOX), Payment Card Industry (PCI), Information Technology Information Library (ITIL), and/or certification in a nationally accredited project management discipline (i.e., PMI, PMP, Six Sigma, Unified Rational, etc.) are preferred.
At Garmin, we like to laugh, have fun and work hard. It comes easily when you work on cool products with hard-working individuals who share the same passion. We offer numerous opportunities to get involved – kickball anyone?
– and believe strongly in a work-life balance so your creativity can flow.
Garmin offers one of the most comprehensive compensation and benefit plans around. We offer extensive health care coverage with little to no contributions, depending on the plan. Plus, we offer company-paid dental insurance, stock options, a 401k plan, a pension plan….trust us, it doesn’t get much better than this. Unless of course, you want to talk table tennis, fitness spaces, product discounts….come on, what are you waiting for? Apply today.
Garmin - 2 years ago
copy to clipboard
"Dreaming big and obsessing about the details.” It’s a dynamic philosophy that has taken Garmin from a start-up GPS...