MERCHANT- Piercing Pagoda
Zale Corporation is a leading specialty retailer of fine jewelry in North America, operating approximately 1,800 retail locations throughout the United States, Canada and Puerto Rico, as well as online. Zale Corporation’s family of brands includes Zales Jewelers, Zales Outlet, Gordon's Jewelers, Peoples Jewellers, Mappins Jewellers, and Piercing Pagoda.
Zale Corporation offers exciting career opportunities in each of the Zale businesses. We look for bright, enthusiastic and performance-driven people to join our team and become an important part of our future. We provide competitive wages and benefits for eligible positions.
JOB SUMMARY Responsible for the selection, price negotiation, and procurement of diamonds, gems, and valuable metals for manufacturing and/or retail sale in Company stores.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Obtain materials from suppliers at the lowest cost consistent with considerations of quality, reliability of source, and urgency of need
- Study market trends, interview vendors, and recommend sources of supply
- Analyze quotations received and select or recommend suppliers
- Supervise preparation of orders and follow up to expedite delivery and shipment
- Obtain certifications of delivery and conduct checks against orders
- Check and approve invoices for orders placed and maintain necessary records and files for efficient operation
- Develop and maintain a program of policies, systems, methods, and procedures for the effective management and control of the buying function to reduce costs and produce additional sales
- Compile and analyze statistical data to determine feasibility of buying products, and to establish price objectives for contract transactions. Obtain data for cost analysis studies and determine manufacturing costs within divisions or company. Prepare reports, charts and graphs of findings. Evaluate findings and make recommendations relative to feasibility of manufacturing or buying needed products.
- Recommend use of alternative parts, materials, or manufacturing methods to reduce costs
- Perform supervisory responsibilities involving staffing, conducting performance evaluations, training, and development
- Jewelry buying experience required
- Responsible for the hiring, counseling, coaching, evaluation, and professional development and growth of merchandising and buying staff
EDUCATION / EXPERIENCE
- Prior jewelry buying experience required
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to consult and negotiate with suppliers, internal clients, external clients, etc., while building effective business relationships
- Proficiency in word processing, spreadsheet, presentation, and operating system software such as Windows and Microsoft Office
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Strong negotiation skills
- Ability to determine and set priorities
- Strong organizational and multi-tasking skills
- Possess keen analytical and decision-making skills
- Ability to work with all levels of management and vendors
- Bachelor’s degree in Merchandising, Marketing, Business, or related area
- Minimum of 5-7 years of jewelry retail merchandising, planning, and buying experience
- May be required to travel up to 50% of the time
For nearly 90 years, Zale Corporation has provided extraordinary ways to say "I love you." As a leading specialty retailer in...