NOOK Media is a global and exciting new company, jointly owned by Barnes & Noble and Microsoft, with the mission of changing how people read and learn in the future. A subsidiary of Barnes & Noble, one of the nation’s most beloved and recognizable brands and a Fortune 500 Company, and with strong backing from Microsoft, NOOK Media is well capitalized to seize the incredible growth opportunity in the nascent digital content market. Sales of digital content in the consumer and education segments worldwide are set to explode, at an average growth rate of over 40% per year over the next 10 years, as people shift from reading and learning on paper to digital. NOOK Media is emerging as a leader in this fast-growing market, enjoying over 25% market share in digital books and magazines in the US alone. With its preferred relationships with publishers, unique ability to reach readers and students, and award winning digital reading and learning platform in the NOOK brand, NOOK Media is well positioned to thrive as an important digital content and technology company.
The Company has invested over $50 million to build a beautiful new campus in the historic Xerox PARC in the foothills of Palo Alto, California, that will be completed in February 2013. NOOK Media has a unique culture that enjoys the open and entrepreneurial feel of a start-up, combined with deep backing and resources of a $3B growth company. NOOK Media has also experienced tremendous growth, adding new talent to our team at a rate of 65% year over year.
This position will be responsible for administration and maintenance of all production database servers for Nook Media LLC
Upon entering our organization you will be exposed to and learn Golden Gate and TimesTen (in-memory database) tools along with NoSQL technology such as MongoDB, Redis, ElasticSearch to name a few.
- Administration and maintenance of all ORACLE servers.
- Build highly scalable and available Oracle DB systems
- Trouble shooting specific ORACLE BUGS and errors
- Administration and maintenance of MySQL / MongoDB / Cassandra systems.
- Supporting all development efforts by meeting with developers and helping them devise the best practices
- On call support during off hours and weekends (on rotation).
The following are not essential but are desired and would be a plus:
- 7+ years experience as an Oracle DBA.
- Experience supporting mission critical high volume systems.
- Expertise in Oracle Database Administration versions 9 through 11g
- Expertise in installation and administration multi-node RAC systems
- Experience in application of database patches and DB upgrades.
- Expertise of Data Guard (physical and logical)
- Experience in backup/recovery , including use of RMAN
- Ability to write tuned SQL, including PL/SQL stored procedures and packages
- Ability to use AWR and ASH to perform diagnostics and tuning
- Working knowledge of built in OS tools for monitoring and troubleshooting system performance.
- Strong troubleshooting skills for resolving various performance issues and tuning.
- Experience supporting and administering high volume MySQL Databases.
- In-depth knowledge of MySQL Performance tuning.
- Ability to implement and support various topologies of MySQL replication.
- Ability to design and implement Disaster recovery for both Oracle and MySQL Systems.
- Ability to provide 24x7 support (on rotation)
- Experience with Linux System Administration
- Exposure to NoSQL Technology such as MongoDB, Cassandra, Hbase
- Experience with MS SQL Server or Sybase ASE
- Knowledge of Oracle Goldengate
Barnes and Noble is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer
Barnes & Noble, Inc. (NYSE:BKS) is a Fortune 500 company and the leading retailer of content, digital media and educational products. We...