Associates get the royal treatment at Garmin. Regardless if you’re a newbie or a veteran, engineers dream it, design it and use it. Here, you will be surrounded by others who share the same passion about what they do every day. We offer a relaxed team environment where advancement is found from sharing knowledge, not hiding it! While we promise you a lot of responsibility, you also will have the opportunity to have ownership over projects…oh, and we promise you there will be some fun mixed in there, too!
At Garmin, we’re always striving to improve products, processes or systems. As a product architect, you lead that charge, developing new product ideas through collaboration with associates, customers and partners. You listen to what they have to say and leverage those ideas into user design and product specifications. Through research, analyzing, conferences and a host of other participatory avenues, you’ll be the eyes and ears of the company. What do people like about our products? How can we improve? What are consumer or market trends? Plus, in this role, you’ll get to identify and interview associates who are passionate about an activity that is not currently served by our products, perhaps helping find the next “big idea.” If you are ready to become an expert in all things Garmin, we’re ready to meet you.
We are looking for a full time Product Architect for our headquarters in Olathe, Kansas. In this role, your essential functions will include:
You’ll also be responsible for creating visual or physical prototypes, including detailed interaction specifications, develop criteria for new products including requirements, features, product ecosystem strategy and product lifecycle strategy, and work closely with Engineering, Sales and Marketing to develop initial product roadmap for a new market.
- Identify and create inspiration sources and new idea streams, with a focus on identifying new market opportunities.
- Research and analyze credible sources for technology, design and consumer trends.
- Identify and interview associates who are passionate about an activity that is not presently served by our products.
- Discover unmet customer needs and desires by attending new market conferences, participate in new market activities and survey customers to discover needs.
- Successfully communicate product vision, conceptual ideas and design rationale.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, AND SKILLS REQUIRED:
- Bachelor of Science Degree in an engineering or product design related field
- Excellent academics (cumulative GPA greater than or equal to 3.0 as a general rule)
- Must possess a minimum of 5 years industry experience in consumer product development
- A track record of designing and developing disruptive technology and/or commercially successful consumer products
- Must be passionate, enthusiastic and enjoy exploration and hands-on work
- Diverse background with one or more of the following core competency: electrical, software, web, mobile, industrial design, graphic design, and rapid prototyping
- Must effectively demonstrate a self-starting, results-oriented, positive, proactive, solution-focused approach
- Demonstrated strong and effective verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills
At Garmin, we like to laugh, have fun and work hard. It comes easily when you work on cool products with hard-working individuals who share the same passion. We offer numerous opportunities to get involved and believe strongly in a work-life balance so your creativity can flow.
- Experience writing product, marketing or business plans
- Demonstrates an entrepreneurial spirit with experience starting a business or serving as a technical member of a start-up company
- Must demonstrate the ability to work proactively and effectively with minimal supervision
- Recent experience in an individual contributor role with a proven track record and demonstrated ability to drive requirements through participation in cross functional teams
Garmin offers one of the most comprehensive compensation and benefit plans around. We offer extensive health care coverage with little to no contributions, depending on the plan. Plus, we offer company-paid dental insurance, stock options, a 401k plan, a pension plan….trust us, it doesn’t get much better than this. Unless of course, you want to talk table tennis, fitness spaces, product discounts….come on, what are you waiting for? Apply today.
"Dreaming big and obsessing about the details.” It’s a dynamic philosophy that has taken Garmin from a start-up GPS...