The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home.
Present in Sierra Leone since 1999, IRC supports the Sierra Leonean institutions – government, civil society, community-based organizations and private sector – to provide improved social services, decrease youth unemployment and mitigate gender based violence. The IRC does this through programs and partnerships designed to improve the life of women, youth and children by implementing Health, Education, Child Protection, Youth and Women’s Protection and Empowerment programming. IRC operates projects in Freetown, Kambia, Bo, Kenema, Kono and Kailahun Districts and has a Country Program office in Freetown, a regional Field Office in Kenema, a Field Office in Kono and a Satellite Office in Kailahun.
SCOPE OF WORK:
The IRC is seeking a Project Coordinator who will be responsible for the overall management and technical support of a multi-year DFID-funded education project, Improving Schooling in Sierra Leone (ISIS). The IRC is the lead agency of the ISIS Education Consortium, comprising of 4 other INGOS—Concern Worldwide, Ibis, Plan-Sierra Leone and Save the Children International—all of which have a proven track record for quality programming in Sierra Leone. Together, the consortium will implement a project that aims to improve learning outcomes in primary and Junior Secondary Schools in 7 districts across Sierra Leone reaching at least 100,000 children. Specifically, the project will focus on literacy, numeracy and creating a conducive environment in which children will be supported to learn.
- Strategic Direction/Program Implementation
- Provide overall technical direction and managerial oversight for smooth implementation of the project. Key Responsibilities include:
- Prepare, in coordination with Education Consortium focal staff, strategic work-plans with clear objectives and achievement benchmarks, long-term and short-term priorities, implementation plans, quarterly and yearly financial projections against the Accountable Grant Agreement.
- Supervise and provide technical oversight in the development of M&E plans and tools.
- Identify technical assistance needs and arrange for the provision of needed assistance; provide technical support to implementing partners and ensure coordinated inputs and technical/managerial quality from all partners/collaborators.
- Provide financial and technical management to ensure the best use of resources by preparing sound budgets, monitoring project expenses, and ensuring timely submission of financial reports to the donor.
- Coordination & Representation
- Build and maintain productive working relationships with a wide network of partners and stakeholders. Key responsibilities include:
- Serve as the principal ISIS Education Consortium representative to DFID, the Ministry of Education, Science and Technology (MEST), UNICEF, World Bank and all other Education Development Partners (EDP) and stakeholders to ensure programme alignment to the new Education Sector Plan and subsequent harmonization with EDP activities.
- Represent the ISIS Education Consortium as a member of ISIS Steering Committee to ensure quality delivery of the programme and high level coordination with DFID, MEST, and UNICEF.
- Maintain communication with and report to DFID Education Adviser through both formal and informal briefings, quarterly and annual reports. Ultimately responsible for timely submission of financial and narrative reports to DFID according to the grant agreement.
- Lead quarterly technical review and planning meeting with the consortium partners’ Education Advisors/Coordinators.
- Ultimately responsible for managing the project implementation and the Consortium Coordination staff. Key responsibilities include:
- Directly supervise 2 staff. Positions include the Consortium M&E Manager (International) and Consortium Finance and Compliance Manager (National).
- Lead the recruitment and supervise consultants and ensure the production of high quality work.
- Ensure efficient management of financial resources, including the review and program approval of partner financial and narrative reports. Monitoring expenses of the entire grant against spending plans and according to donor and IRC policies.
- Ensure partners’ compliance with donor and IRC regulations.
- The Coordinator will be supervised by the IRC Senior Program Coordinator and will also be responsible to report directly to the Strategic Management Board, which is comprised of the Consortium Country Directors (5) for overall performance review of the Consortium. Coordinator is also expected to maintain communication and liaise with the Country Directors as appropriate.
- Minimum a Masters degree in education, social sciences, international development, or a related field.
- Minimum of six years of senior management experience in designing and implementing large education programs and working in tandem with local and international partners.
- Demonstrated ability to implement projects with rigorous deliverables and timelines in accordance to set timeframes and donor regulations while maintaining high quality and with multiple implementing partners.
- Proven leadership and strategic planning capabilities.
- Proven ability in collaborating closely with multi-level stakeholders, including Government, donors, and implementing partners.
- Knowledge of key DFID regulations and experience with DFID funding is a plus.
- Technical expertise in literacy and/or numeracy is a plus.
- Demonstrated budget management ability.
- Effective and persuasive writing and public speaking.
- Proven sound judgment and decision-making skills.
- Computer skills in MS Office (Word, Excel, Access, Outlook).
- Excellent written and oral English.
- Experience in West Africa or in Sierra Leone
International Rescue Committee - 5 months ago
The International Rescue Committee responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their liv...