New York City Department of Education – Office of Applications Development
About the Job
Reporting to the Manager for Reporting & Analysis, the Senior Cognos Architect and Developer is responsible for architecting Cognos solutions, designing Cognos Frameworks and providing Cognos expertise to multiple groups of Cognos developers. In addition, the Senior Cognos Architect Developer is responsible for gathering and analyzing business requirements, planning, preparing, implementing, organizing and executing developmental tasks and developing and delivering solutions to production. This role requires that the person be the go to expert for everything regarding Cognos technology and requires that the individual be able to lead Cognos developers.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Builds Cognos solutions. Develops standards, procedures, and best practices for Cognos usage. Stays abreast of new Cognos offerings and demonstrates a deep understanding of Cognos applications in order to partner with business, developer, and infrastructure teams.
- Defines software and solutions to support business needs. Develops and implements Enterprise Cognos Business Intelligence (BI) application architecture, security plans and processes.
- Designs, documents, deploys and maintains analytical and reporting software applications. Utilizes knowledge of data and data manipulation techniques to implement functional requirements into reports.
- Develops, supports and implements Business Intelligence (BI) solutions, multi-dimensional cubes, Report Template Library, batch processing and relational models as well as complex user reports and analysis.
- Develops and supports operational and ad-hoc reports using the Cognos tools which include Framework Manager, Transformer, Query Studio, Reporting Studio, Metrics Studio, Events Studio and Cognos SDK.
- Creates, develops and supports complex Extract, Transform and Load (ETL) processes and Structured Query Language (SQL) procedures which transfer, load and cleanse data. Develops and implements Cognos Script for automation.
- Provides technical quality assurance, and documents the resolution of technical problems by the end-user and provides training.
- Utilizes quantitative and analytical skills and business knowledge for the migration of applications to Quality Assurance/Staging and Production environment. This includes monitoring applications for performance and stability, resolving potential problems and optimizing application routines.
- Installs, modifies and maintains Cognos Application systems and provides overall technical guidance for the usage of Cognos tools and related software products.
- Collaborates and conducts meetings with business owners and end-users on the methodology of utilizing quantitative, analytical and business skills and knowledge to understand crucial data needs.
- Collaborates with BI Systems Architect to design and develop efficient operational procedures. Ensures that the application environment supports the business requirements.
- Collaborates with IT Operations in order to solve potential problems, defines and analyzes new technical requirements and software releases and performs ongoing capacity planning.
- Performs project management activities including project documentation, business requirements and project tracking.
- A baccalaureate degree from an accredited college, including or supplemented by 24 semester credits in computer science or a related computer field and four years of satisfactory full-time computer software experience in computer systems development and analysis, applications programming, database administration, systems programming, data communications, including one year in a project leader capacity or as a major contributor on a complex project; or
- A four-year high school diploma or its educational equivalent and six years of satisfactory full-time computer software experience as described in "1" above, including one year in a project leader capacity or as a major contributor on a complex project; or
- Education and/or experience equivalent to "1" or "2" above. College education may be substituted for up to two years of the required experience in "2" above on the basis that 60 semester credits from an accredited college is equated to one year of experience. A masters degree in computer science or a related computer field may be substituted for one year of the required experience in "1" or "2" above. However, all candidates must have at least a four-year high school diploma or its educational equivalent and at least one year of satisfactory full-time experience in a project leader capacity or as a major contributor on a complex project.
1. Extensive experience working with Cognos BI products including Bursting, PowerPlay, Impromptu, ReportNet (Report Studio, Query Studio, Metrics Studio, Events Studio and framework Manager), Access Manager, Portal Administration, Server Administration, Content Administration, Cognos SDK, Cognos Scheduler, Macros, .Net, HTML, Java, SQL Server 200/2005
2. Strong communication and documentation skills
3. Strong quantitative and analytical skills and business knowledge.
4. Ability to perform project management activities.
5. Knowledge of databases & SQL is a must.
6. A working knowledge of SQL Server 2005, Data Stage 7.5/8.0
7. A working knowledge of SQL Server 2005 and Data stage 7.5/8.0.
8. Strong understanding and working knowledge of Relational/Star Schema modeling and design as well as Web Services (COGNOS Web Services, HTML, XML, etc.).
9. Knowledge of data and data manipulation techniques.
New York City Department of Education
Division of Instructional and Information Technology (DIIT)
335 Adams Street
Brooklyn, New York 11201
Apply by Email
Monster - 3 years ago
copy to clipboard