Join the Team!
Imagine a company dedicated to bringing music to the people, whenever they want it, wherever they are, on any device. Come work for us and make it happen. Are you hungry, do you want to grow, and want the ability to impact millions in how they listen to music every day in every way?
We have start-up feel with the security of a strong revenue stream. With more than one million subscribers and over 16 million songs on more than 100+ consumer electronic products, Rhapsody is the #1 premium subscription music service and leading the digital music service revolution in the US (and soon globally).
We make it possible for fans to listen to any song, anytime and anywhere. Our team of renowned editors help guide members through Rhapsody's catalog spanning 600 genres with original features and content, including videos, playlists, reviews and radio stations for effortless listening and discovery. Rhapsody was voted one of Washington’s top 100 companies to work for in 2012 by Seattle Business Magazine and we understand that people are our biggest asset.
Rhapsody is experiencing significant growth in subscribers, expanding internationally, and is always looking to bring in top talent. We are searching for an experienced Director of Music Licensing reporting to the Chief Financial Officer. This person will help deploy Rhapsody’s music licensing strategy, with a focus on music publishing, to ensure that the Rhapsody and Napster brands can grow globally and remain compliant with numerous rights holder agreements. The ideal candidate is a highly motivated, self-starter with a knack for executing on various global initiatives amidst an ever-changing environment. This role works alongside all company teams in overseeing all aspects of music licensing and royalty payments.
This candidate should also have extensive experience in licensing both sound recording and music publishing rights in the U.S. and Europe, as well as extensive knowledge of royalties and related reporting systems.
This person will be responsible for business development and operations including:
- Negotiating public performance licensing agreements with Performance Rights Organizations and major music publishers as well as fulfilling all reporting obligations
- Negotiating standard and bulk licensing agreements with international publishing and webcasting collectives
- Actively supervising the functions of Rhapsody’s outsourced mechanical licensing administrator
- Ensuring compliance with the terms of all Rhapsody agreements with publishing rights holders
- Management of all content audits
- Key team member of an internal group that has strategic/operational oversight for the global rights management system
Key attributes of the candidate include:
- Great contacts in the digital music industry with an extremely strong understanding of PROs, mechanical rights holders, international societies and global publishing rights holders
- Strong communicator and project manager; effective at all levels of the organization
- Very key cross functional focus; highly engaged with the Executive Team and Label Relations, Legal, Finance and Business Intelligence
- Customer-centric; pride in the product/brand with a strong sense of and understanding of products/services
- Proactive contributor with a unique ability to think of deal structures outside of the box; identify best practices and take steps to employ
- Effective multi-tasker able to prioritize and manage multiple projects with end goal of increasing Rhapsody’s footprint
- A skilled negotiator of the highest order
We’re looking for someone who has:
- B.A./B.S. degree, minimum of 7-10 years of licensing and royalties experience; M.B.A./J.D. a plus
- 7+ years experience specifically related to music licensing work in the digital space
- High-level contacts throughout the music publishing industry and digital music space, with particular focus on international contacts
- Excellent knowledge of music royalties and extensive experience managing rights management systems
- Razor sharp understanding of sound recording, music publishing and webcasting licensing/royalties globally. Deep knowledge of Section 114/115 of the U.S. Copyright Act as well as European licensing tariffs
- Proven track record of closing deals.
Rhapsody offers a highly collaborative, hardworking, open environment where you’ll work alongside extremely creative and dedicated people. The company is headquartered in Seattle, with offices in San Francisco and New York. We are proud to offer our full time employees an extensive benefits package including generous paid time off, medical, dental, vision, 401K, telecommuting, subsidized commuting options and more.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed. Rhapsody International Inc. is an equal opportunity employer.
Rhapsody - 19 months ago