Responsible for the coordination and management of complex administrative functions relative to the directing and managing of operations (administrative and business management activities) for the College of Engineering and Science.
1. Serves as a member of the Dean's senior management team to establish long-range strategic plans for the College. E/10%
2. Directs all accounting and human resource operations as they relate to the university business system, CUBS, for the Dean's Office. Evaluates and recommends new equipment and upgrades. Implements principles of continuous quality improvement. Evaluates the performance of subordinates, correcting performance deficiencies and improving staff competence. E/10%
3. Directs, interprets, disseminates and coordinates all of the Dean's correspondence, including sensitive, legal and confidential materials. Ensures that all communications flow smoothly and that assignments from the Dean are properly delegated and completely in the appropriate timeframe. E/10%
4. Manages communications to the Dean from the College/University community, the press, governmental officials and the public. Serves as liaison to the Dean, handling matters independently or referring issues appropriately. Communicates daily with Vice Presidents; other Deans and Department Chairs on behalf of the Dean and ensures accessibility to the Dean as appropriate. E/10%
5. Provides leadership in planning, organizing, and administering functions of the Dean's Office. Using appropriate discretion and responsibility, executes and initiates actions required for effective administration. Coordinates administrative support for College Award programs; records and distributes minutes of meetings. Attends conferences and educational meetings to ensure continuity in leadership functions. E/10%
6. Researches, compiles, analyzes, and organizes information for the Dean's use in discussions and meetings with executive staff members, faculty, students and external parties including colleagues and associates at both the national and international level. Prepares information and establishes agendas required for the efficient coordination and management of meetings involving the Dean, Provost and the University's executive leadership. E/10%
7. Independently drafts public and confidential correspondence on the Dean's behalf related to highly sensitive management issues with internal and external constituents. Coordinates all information related to the Dean's public speaking engagements and responsibilities, including the management of all required travel details. E/10%
8. Establishes and manages the Dean's calendar, orchestrates the Dean's activities through the University system. Receives meeting requests from the College/University community (students, faculty, staff and administrators) and other off-campus officials; uses independent judgment regarding the Dean?s time (i.e., relevancy, necessity, and priority) and independently manages requests when possible and appropriate. Initiates meeting with the Dean as deemed appropriate and necessary. E/10%
9. Coordinates responsibilities, compiles materials and coordinates agenda as required for the efficient coordination and management of a myriad of complex meetings involving the Provost and the University's executive leadership. E/10%
10. Attends various meeting with or for the Dean and serves on College/University committees as is appropriate. Serves as liaison with the Provost Office and the Office of the President to establish agendas and prepare required materials for meetings, seminars, orientations, and retreats. E/10%
A high school diploma and relevant experience in administrative services, business management or public administration.
PREFERRED IN ADDITION TO THE MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS:
3-5 years' proven experience coordinating complex administrative, business management, and/or support activities. A Bachelor's degree.
PAY & WORK SCHEDULE:
Standard Hrs: 37.5; Band: 05 ($ 31,182.00 - $ 44,438.00)
The Office of the Dean is a very busy place, so this individual must be able to handle numerous interruptions on a daily basis while remaining focused on the task at hand.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
Must have a thorough knowledge of the College and University's policies and procedures in order to make non-routine decisions. Knowledge of guidelines and regulations related to the College of Engineering and Science in the areas of education, research and public service. Knowledge of management tools to enable the effective administration of the office. Ability to supervise and/or perform multiple duties in completing college projects. Ability to maintain a working relationship with people from academia, governmental agencies, industry, etc.
COMPETENCY / SKILLS TEST:
All candidates chosen for an interview may be administered a competency / skills test (Business English, MS Word and MS Excel 5.0 - 7.0) by the hiring department.
March 1, 2013
JEANNE CLERY ACT:
The Jeanne Clery Disclosure Act requires institutions of higher education to disclose campus security information including crime statistics for the campus and surrounding areas. As a current or prospective Clemson University employee, you have a right to obtain a copy of this information for this institution. For more information regarding our Employment, Campus Safety and Benefits, please visit the Human Resources - Prospective Employees web page shown below:
Clemson University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any individual or group of individuals on the basis of age, color, disability, gender, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or genetic information.
Clemson University - 17 months ago
Clemson Tigers are fierce and passionate competitors. From the stadium to the classroom to the research lab, Tigers play to win. Our...