Merck is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and consumer health products, as well as animal health products. Today, we are building a new kind of healthcare company - one that is ready to help create a healthier future for all of us.
Our ability to excel depends on the integrity, knowledge, imagination, skill, diversity and teamwork of people like you. To this end, we strive to create an environment of mutual respect, encouragement and teamwork. As part of our global team, you'll have the opportunity to collaborate with talented and dedicated colleagues while developing and expanding your career.
Merck BioVentures (MBV) is focused on harnessing the large market opportunity presented by biological medicine patent expiries by delivering high quality competitively priced biologic products to the marketplace. This builds on Merck's long term commitment to improving access to safe medicines and vaccines for patients worldwide. Merck expects to launch a number of biosimilar products in key therapeutic areas where there exists significant unmet medical need. The need for biologics that offer better value to health care systems around the world suggests that biosimilars will define a new era for the industry. Payers in Europe, where biosimilars are already available, have started to develop reimbursement mechanisms to facilitate the adoption of these products.
The selected incumbent will develop global market access strategies for products in the MBV portfolio. These strategies will inform MBV on the selection of the appropriate commercial model to maximize the net income of the MBV portfolio. These strategies will also inform the global policy group on potential policy initiatives that will help shape the environment to facilitate the acceptance of biosimilars. Working in a matrix organization, this individual is accountable for leading the development of the market access strategy, tactics, models and communications across the different global payer segments, to ensure rapid, broad and profitable product reimbursement and patient access for MBV products globally.
Specific responsibilities include:
1) Monitor market access trends for currently marketed biosimilars including the existence and performance of payer tools that enhance the opportunity for the adoption of biosimilars. Identify areas of opportunity where payer tools may be underdeveloped, and work with internal and external stakeholders on policy approaches for these markets.
2) Develop an understanding of the buying process and purchase dynamics for each therapeutic category in the MBV portfolio, and anticipate how payers will manage the introduction of biosimilars in each product category in light of the purchasing process.
3) Develop and recommend the pricing and reimbursement strategy for all products preparing for launch, which includes leading payer and pricing research in collaboration with the Global Pricing Group. Develop the global launch price, contracting approach and segment discount strategy. Work with Merck affiliates to adapt strategies to the particular dynamics for pricing and reimbursement of biosimilars in key countries.
4) Develop product launch plans to ensure the development of an integrated market access strategy which presents a strategic advantage in the areas of pricing, reimbursement, HTA requirements (if necessary), value tools, economic models and stakeholder engagement.
5) Lead the implementation of global access strategy for biosimilars with the MBV Commercial Team and Regional/Local Markets.
6) Continue to drive and re-calibrate the products market access strategy in response to the changing market dynamics as the core products evolve across their life-cycle.
The selected candidate will also be accountable for working with the Commercial Team and Regional/Local Market Access Leaders in evaluating potential contracting models, enhanced data generation for payer value propositions, and specific outreach/policy activities to advance the uptake of Merck BioVenture products.
Education Minimum Requirement:
Required Skills and Experience:
Minimum 3 years experience in Global Pharmaceutical Pricing and Reimbursement
Minimum 3 years experience in Biologics or Pharmaceutical Specialty Products (e.g. Oncology, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Multiple Sclerosis, Women's Health)
Proven success working with large strategic initiatives
Knowledgeable about pharmaceutical product commercialization/marketing,
Excellent interpersonal skills; strong leadership, verbal and written communication skills
Strong strategic thinking and business acumen
Our employees are the key to our company's success. We demonstrate our commitment to our employees by offering a competitive and valuable rewards program. Merck's benefits are designed to support the wide range of goals, needs and lifestyles of our employees, and many of the people that matter the most in their lives.
To be considered for this position, please visit our career site at www.merck.com/careers to create a profile and submit your resume for requisition # PRI000101 . Merck is an equal opportunity employer, M/F/D/V - proudly embracing diversity in all of its manifestations.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via-email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means
Merck & Co. - 4 years ago
copy to clipboard
Merck makes medicines for a number of maladies, from stuffy noses and asthma to hypertension and arthritis. The pharmaceutical giant's...