Date Posted: February 10, 2013, until filled
Posted by: Coastal Montessori Charter School Board of Directors
Location: Just a mile from the beach in Pawleys Island, South Carolina
Background: Coastal Montessori Charter School, which first opened in August 2012, is a publicly funded school for children in Grades 1 – 6. CMCS is governed by the Board of Directors and each class is led by a certified Montessori teacher. The school functions as a center of learning that is dedicated to providing the highest quality education to a diverse population of young minds in an open but challenging environment which adheres to the Montessori philosophy of obtaining knowledge. There are plans for expanding grade levels and enrollment, increasing curriculum, and relocating to a permanent facility in 2014.
COASTAL MONTESSORI CHARTER SCHOOL MISSION
The mission of Coastal Montessori Charter is to produce highly-educated, self-directed, socially-responsible citizens who work collaboratively, respectfully, and peacefully as individual yet interdependent learners in a diverse and nurturing environment. Through the unique combination of empirically validated Montessori principles, localized charter governance, and open access, Coastal Montessori Charter School further aims to provide Georgetown County School District with an academically excellent, financially accountable public school choice.
Coastal Montessori Charter School has four major goals, as outlined in our Charter Document, for which the Lead Teacher is responsible:
1. To narrow the achievement gap.
2. All students will demonstrate expected yearly academic progress.
3. Students will read on grade level by the end of third grade.
4. Cultivate Tony Wagner’s “Seven Survival Skills” in students. (The Global Achievement Gap, 2008)
- critical thinking
- problem solving
- ability to work as part of a team
Vision: The Coastal Montessori Charter School Lead Teacher will help direct his/her students’ activities academically, spiritually, emotionally, socially and physically in a prepared Montessori environment that challenges each child to reach his/her fullest potential in the development areas, in accordance with Montessori philosophy and procedures for the age group in which he/she has received Montessori Training.
- Montessori certification or be in the process of receiving Montessori certification from an accredited Montessori program for the applicable grade level
- South Carolina teaching certificate
Note: A certified Montessori teacher with a four-year degree (which does not have to be in Education) may receive his/her South Carolina teaching certificate by passing the PRAXIS.
- Technological proficiency
- Prepare the environment in accordance with Montessori principles
- Plan a program of study that, as much as possible, meets the individual needs, interests and abilities of students, as well as ensures students are learning the state standards
- Collaborate with CMCS teachers, as well as other Montessori educators at the local, state, and/or national level
- Carefully observe and keep records on each student’s individual progression
- Use systems, including Montessori Records Express, to monitor student progress, maintaining and submitting records and reports deemed necessary by CMCS
- Communicate regularly with parents
- Develop reasonable rules of classroom behavior and procedure and maintain order in the classroom in a fair and just manner
- Perform all other functions deemed reasonable and necessary
Please send a resume, three letters of recommendation, and a short description of what makes you an excellent candidate for a Coastal Montessori Charter School Lead Teacher position to:
CMCS Teacher Search Committee
c/o Coastal Montessori Charter School
247 Wildcat Way, Pawleys Island, SC 29585
Or send via email