Waterjet Production Supervisor-1201076
Armstrong Floor Products (AFP), a division of Armstrong World Industries, Inc., is looking for an experience Production Supervisor to be located at our Jackson, MS plant. The successful candidate will achieve excellent results through coaching, team development, and identification and implementation of new and improved processes. S/he will also work closely with a team in driving process improvement and cost reduction initiatives. If you are interested in working for a leading Fortune 500 company that values innovation and results, then read on.
Under the guidance of the Operations Manager, the individual in this position will be accountable for providing effective leadership for the daily production of commercial tile via a waterjet-based manufacturing operation. The Jackson plant currently operates one 8-hr shift, but will expand the waterjet cutting operation to two shifts in March, 2013. The successful candidate will have flexibility in working a day, evening or night shift assignment, as well as for working weekends when necessary. At inception, the candidate will be responsible for two 8-hr crews/shifts. Measured accountabilities include areas of safety, quality, service and cost. Responsibilities include:
- Promoting and ensuring a safe work environment and environmental compliance
- Leading, training, and managing the waterjet cutting operation with multiple crews of 8 team members.
- Ensuring production goals are met or exceeded, including yield, throughput, schedule adherence and quality
- Identifying, leading and managing process improvement projects, including utilizing 5S, MDI and other lean manufacturing concepts.
· Set and communicate the safety and health standard for the crew. Injuries are unacceptable and zero injuries is the standard.
· Drive safety and health performance improvement in the organization and area supervised.
· Drive the permanent elimination of the unsafe actions of people and unsafe conditions by conducting effective touch audits; coaching in the safety aspects of all jobs supervised; conducting safety crew meetings; establishing safety ownership in all jobs and areas supervised; ensuring that personal risk assessment (TPPP) is continuously practiced by everyone in the organization; ensuring that the hazard identification and elimination system (including the safety workorder system) operates effectively; conducting audits and inspections as necessary to ensure safety process effectiveness, and performing monthly safety conversations with employees to diagnose, coach and teach within the safety system.
· Hold employees and others who may enter the area supervised accountable to comply with all safety requirements, including those listed in all Job Safety Analyses.
· Ensure that employees have the necessary safety skills by ensuring that the required safety training is completed.
· Ensure that all machine safeguards and other safeguards and exposure controls are in place and functional and that safety equipment (including PPE) and tools are provided.
· Provide leadership to safety related management of change, including design phase reviews.
· Conduct safe shift planning; for each and every shift.
· Ensure operators are fully trained to execute their responsibilities, and hold operators accountable to follow standard work.
· Manage all aspects of the waterjet cutting operation, including production planning based on communications with Corporate Logistics, goods-in-process inventory control, meeting production deadlines, and achieving budget cost targets.
· Execute all aspects of the production performance monitoring and reporting system (MDI).
· Participate in maintenance planning activities to ensure the waterjet machine center achieves reliability and performance targets.
· Leads and/or participates in improvement activities and events that drive continuous improvement in the results of the waterjet cutting operation.
· Ensure all aspects of the waterjet quality system are maintained. This includes holding operators accountable to meet quality specifications, auditing finished product and processes to ensure customer needs are met, and leading remediation and prevention efforts when abnormalities occur.
· Partner with the plant quality assurance manager to implement and continuously improve the quality system.
- 3-5 years of prior manufacturing supervisory experience
- High school diploma required, with a Bachelor's or Associates degree highly preferred, or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Strong management and leadership skills
- Demonstrated knowledge of safety and environmental practices and regulations
- Ability to work days, evenings, nights and weekends as required.
- Experience in discreet manufacturing or piece-rate production processes.
- Prior experience in a union environment
- Knowledge of Lean Manufacturing concepts and process improvement methodologies
- Solid mechanical knowledge, including machine operation, troubleshooting and preventative maintenance.
We offer competitive benefits including options and choices to fit your needs such as medical, dental, prescription drug, life insurance, long and short term disability coverage, 401k plan, paid time off, and product discount programs.
About the Company:
Established in 1860, Armstrong World Industries, Inc. is a multi-billion dollar global leader in the design and manufacture of floors and ceilings with a focus on innovation, design, and environmental sustainability. Based in Lancaster PA, Armstrong serves both the residential and commercial markets operating plants and distribution centers in eight countries with over 9,000 employees worldwide.
About the Location:
Located in south central Mississippi in the heart of the "Hospitality State", the City of Jackson is home to more than 425,000 people and offers the perfect blend of old and new. Historic sites, galleries, museums, excellent outdoor lifestyle opportunities, sports, and arts and entertainment, there's no shortage of things to see and do in Jackson!
Armstrong is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Job: Manufacturing Management & Plant Operations
Primary Location: MS-Jackson
Other Locations: MS-Jackson
Armstrong is a leader in the design and manufacture of floors and ceilings. Our innovative residential and commercial product designs,...