Job Summary: As a Professional Services Engineer, you will provide post-sales services and support for NetApp enterprise customers. Professional Services Engineers team with NetApp account teams and customers to understand customer requirements, scope appropriate services, and deliver service projects. Service projects include various aspects of project planning, project management, installations, requirements analysis, architecture/design, implementation, optimization, and on-going customer support processes.
The essential responsibilities of the Professional Services Engineer are to collaborate with the Professional Services team to assist NetApp customers through on-site support and consulting services including:
• Installation and configuration of NetApp hardware and software products.
• Implementation of backup and restore, disaster recovery, storage consolidation, data protection, storage performance, etc.
• Optimization including upgrades, performance monitoring and system audit tasks.
• Customer support including troubleshooting and problem resolution.
• Communication with clients and management.
It is critical for this individual to understand the customers’ technical environment in order to be able to deliver effective solutions. Typical customer technical environments include:
• Operating Systems: Unix and Windows systems administration functions including domain structures, file systems, disk partitions, mounts, quotas, and general security.
• Networking: Local area network technology, specifically Ethernet, IP, DNS and NIS associated daemons. Network architectures include: hubs, repeaters, bridges, routers, and switches.
• Storage: SAN and NAS storage communications including caching and streaming technologies.
The role on a team that an individual at this level is expected to successfully undertake is: Contributor to a team, to proactive contributor.
• United States citizenship is required.
• Strong verbal and written communications skills are essential and are utilized in communicating with team members, systems administrators and managers.
• Ability to work collaboratively with other engineers and managers in a team environment to meet aggressive goals, and meet high quality standards.
• Ability to work well with customers’ technical representatives under a variety of circumstances to best understand and meet customer expectations.
• Must have a minimum of 1 year experience with the following:
o Understanding of Windows and Unix operating systems
o Networking: knowledge of Ethernet, IP, DNS and NIS associated daemons. Knowledge of network architectures including hubs, repeaters, bridges, routers, and switches.
o Storage: knowledge of storage administration and the concepts of file systems, disk partitions, mounts, quotas, mirroring and sizing.
o Knowledge of NAS, DAS, SAN (fabric attached architectures).
o Experience with Data ONTAP fundamentals.
• Up to 75% travel required after first year of New College Graduate training program is completed. (Initial travel for first year is estimated at 10-20%)
• Off hours work (nights and weekends) is required.
o This individual interacts primarily with staff to director level employees within the function, and the technical team within NetApp and at customer sites on assigned projects. At customer sites may work with system administrators and technical managers.
o General direction is provided on routine work, and detailed direction is provided on new projects and assignments; as well as on-going review of activities and priorities.
o The ideal candidate will be an important contributor to team projects.
Education and Experience
• Looking for a recent graduate or soon to be graduate with a tentative start date of May/June 2013.
• A Bachelor of Science Degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, Computer Information Systems, or equivalent experience is required.
• Demonstrated ability to have completed multiple, moderately complex technical tasks.
New College Grad
Full time / Part time
USA - Virginia - D.C.
Careers at NetApp
At NetApp, your expertise is what drives our growing success
NetApp is the ideal place to give your career a boost....