At Monsanto we’re focused on finding innovative solutions for the issues we face in agriculture. Monsanto has always embraced innovation and always focused on helping to make a better world. You can see it in our groundbreaking products and in our dynamic environment where your skills and your career can grow and develop. We know that every day, new ideas can come from anyone, anywhere. At Monsanto you’ll be respected, you’ll contribute to the bottom line and you’ll help farmers feed the world.
At Monsanto you’ll find a team-focused environment that thrives on innovation and encourages you to do extraordinary things. That’s because every day, we give you the chance to take novel approaches to important agricultural problems by investing over $1 billion in research and development every year. This is where your ideas could push the limits of agricultural technology and maybe even change the world. With the aid of our talented workforce and robust research and development platform we’re working toward producing more, conserving more, and improving lives. In our R&D Information Technology Group, we leverage cutting edge technology, data, analytics and software to revolutionize plant breeding, biotechnology, chemistry and agronomy. As an IT professional with Monsanto, the work you perform will be interesting and challenging, and you’ll be involved in the development of new systems and applications. That’s why we’ve been ranked among the Top 100 Companies by Information Week, and among the 100 Best Places for IT Workers by Computerworld.
We are seeking a (Research and Development Information Technology) R&D IT Data Lead to develop and lead the execution of a strategy for a data organization supporting Monsanto’s research & development pipeline, driving the team’s evolution into big data analytics & data science expertise. Additional capabilities will include planning for team skill development and ongoing organizational leadership of the data platform.
- Lead a team of data engineers, stewards, modelers and support in a high-achieving, mission-driven atmosphere in order to produce a high-quality analytics and data management platform
- Thinking strategically about innovative ways to use data and how that use affects design
- Driving data discovery around new data sources or new uses for existing data sources
- Work with executives and managers to understand business strategy and targets and to deliver a high-visibility, innovative new platform excelling in big data analytics and data management
- Perform management-related tasks such as: communicate success as well as challenges and breakthroughs with fellowto senior leadership, assess and develop staff performance, facilitate meetings with key stakeholders, and build external relationships to develop new organizational capability
- The successful candidate will participate on the R&D IT Leadership Team and share overall goals to deliver an industry leading IT platform that successfully enables our world class R&D pipeline
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or equivalent
- 5+ years of experience in architectural and/or engineering leadership roles, preferably within the tech industry/Silicon Valley
- Strong experience with state of the art data technologies, particularly Big Data/NoSQL technologies such as Hadoop, Cassandra, MongoDB, ElasticSearch, Giraph or similar
- Adept at discovering opportunities to mine insights from emerging data sets (social, mobile, machine, geospatial) and at finding even greater insights from the linkage of these data sets
- Strong familiarity with data mining and algorithm design, particularly with machine learning approaches
- Experience managing efforts in big data platforms, distributed systems and/or analytics on massive-scale data sets
- SQL and/or Extract/Transform/Load (ETL) frameworks
- Experience with geospatial data analytics and presentation
- Proven experience working with senior leadership on defining and delivering on a product roadmap
- Experience managing a distributed IT engineering team
- Strong communication and mentoring skills
- Thorough understanding of data management best practices and analytics methodologies
- A proven track record for being detail-oriented with a demonstrated ability to motivate and follow-through on projects
Monsanto - 16 months ago
Monsanto is one of the world’s leading agricultural technology companies. We’re a company committed to innovation, focused on...