Location: Los Angeles
Classification: Full-time, Non-Exempt
Position Summary :
In coordination with other members of the Accounting Department, the Accounting Associate is responsible for ensuring the timely and accurate processing of reimbursements, credit cards, pre-paid bank cards and urgent requests. Maintains and collects detailed record, reviews and update information as needed into system databases, and verify data for accuracy and completeness. Under general supervision, the associate may perform more difficult and complex bookkeeping work and prepares financial information according to established guidelines and procedures. Decide on certain operational process under his/her level of responsibility or request advice from Accountants and/or other supervisors. Maintaining accurate financial records and preparing clear and accurate reports for informational, auditing and operational use
Essential Job Functions :
Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Process expense reimbursements for staff and lost timers
- Prepare manual payroll and non-payroll checks. Answer questions from lost time members, AA's and other staff regarding pay checks or other payments on a needed basis.
- Code invoices, post and process payments for some major direct billing accounts.
- Perform A/P data entry, review reports, run checks, secure signatures, distribute checks and file all documentation.
- Process payments requests from UHW Caucus officers for their events and activities
- Process payment of the monthly cell phone bill (corporate account)
- Set up new direct billing accounts and update information on these accounts, including list of authorized users.
- Process credit card authorizations to pay for meeting rooms, member events and other charges, as requested by Divisions/Departments.
- Request Certificates of Insurance from broker as needed by Divisions/Departments.
- Prepare journal entries and submit to Accountants for approval and posting.
- Prepare and submit certain Acct. Receivables invoices; maintains supporting documentation.
- Journalize monthly transactions for political accounts (PIC & PAC).
- Post Pre-tax Spending Plan transactions and reconcile the related liability account.
- Reconcile some of the UHW credit cards, as assigned
- Respond to requests for verification of employment, garnishments (IRS, FTB, counties, etc.)
- Prepare cash deposits as needed, and take to the bank (store, refunds, etc.)
- Set up direct deposit service (Expenses) for lost timers, members and consultants
- Post and reconcile prepaid bank's cards (petty cash) used on union events and other activities
- Other tasks as assigned.
- Excellent punctuality and attendance.
- Ability to work under deadlines, perform multiple tasks and to prioritize tasks in a fast pace environment and to communicate effectively with a diverse group of members, staff and vendors.
- Basic formal training in accounting practices and procedures; understanding of double entry bookkeeping including journal entries, credit, debit and memo adjustments. Knowledge of general accepted accounting principles and internal controls.
- Minimum two years' experience processing accounts payable/receivable cycle or a similar position, at least one year experience on payroll or employee benefits processing.
- At least one-year experience using Solomon or comparable computerized accounting software in a medium to large organizational environment.
- Capacity to perform basic and routine mathematical calculations (addition, subtraction, multiplication, division and percentages)
- Strong skills on the use of MS-Office applications including Excel, Word, Access and Outlook. Some experience on Power Point and One Note is desirable.
- Exceptional organizational, prioritization and follow through skills; ability to manage large volume of data and paperwork in an organized, detailed and accurate manner.
- Strong customer service skills with keen attention to detail and a high level of responsiveness to requests as required.
- Ability to work independently as part of a team and to exercise good judgment to solve job related problems and under general guidelines exercise some decision-making in assigned areas of responsibility.
- Understanding and commitment to the mission of SEIU UHW – West.
The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. Duties will vary depending on whether the Accounting Associate is assigned to an accounts payable, accounts receivable, payroll or other functions.
- Ability to sit at a computer for extended periods.
- Able to lift up to ten pounds.
- Able to bend and stoop.
- Occasionally lift and/or move boxes with documents weighing up to 20 pounds.
- Occasionally travel out of town.
SEIU-UHW offers a competitive salary, commensurate with experience, and a generous benefit package.
SEIU is an affirmative action employer and encourages applications from all qualified candidates regardless of gender, race, ethnicity, age, sexual orientation, marital status, religion, or disability. Please submit cover letter and resume to Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org and reference "Accounting Associate" in the subject line.