This professional staff person is responsible for performing assessments, developing a plan of care and implementing and evaluating the care. The RN administers medications and treatments as ordered by physicians and in keeping with the current clinical nursing practice. The RN is responsible for directing, monitoring and evaluating the care delegated to non-licensed personnel. This person will lead the interdisciplinary care team to ensure safe and accurate delivery of care. In addition, the RN performs a range of technical services in a cross-functional mode to comprehensively serve patient needs. Assumes (under the direction of the Laboratory) responsibility for patient specimen testing, quality control, quality improvement and equipment maintenance.
- Completes admission assessment and periodic reassessments according to patient’s progress and/or unit protocols and age-specific parameters .
- Documents findings and communicates all pertinent information to interdisciplinary team members as appropriate.
- Collaborates with interdisciplinary team members in the development, evaluation and revision of the plan of care as appropriate to meet the patient’s needs and goals.
- Provides competent direct care and ensures the provision of a safe and comforting environment resulting in a high level of patient satisfaction.
- Assists healthcare team members in the understanding of hospital policies and procedures.
- Provides education to patients/families/significant others, incorporating age-specific criteria and assessment of readiness to learn.
- Maintains patient confidentiality.
- Maintains standard precautions.
- Administers medications and completes treatments according to hospital policy and within age-specific parameters.
- Maintains all necessary documentation.
- Facilitates discharge plan in collaboration with interdisciplinary team.
- Demonstrates knowledge and ability to use necessary patient care equipment.
- Coordinates response of the interdisciplinary team to emergency situations.
- Performs Point-of-Care procedures in a timely manner according to established policy and procedure. Documents required information and complies with all Point-of-Care quality control standards.
- Delegates appropriately to non-licensed staff in accordance with job description, license requirements and standards of practice.
- Utilizes resources in an efficient and cost-effective manner.
- Participates in developing other staff and affiliating students.
- Maintains and develops own professional competencies.
- Maintains unit-based competencies.
- Maintains and promotes a team spirit through active cooperation and collaboration.
- Assists in interdepartmental service coordination.
- Actively participates in the Performance Improvement and Utilization Review program.
- Assumes a leadership role in the maintenance of the patient-focused care delivery system.
- Assists in directing and guiding staff in the coordination of unit operations.
- Supports the multi-skilled worker environment (i.e., cross training).
- Demonstrates willingness to assist other areas of the hospital, as needed.
- Cross-trains and willingly works in other areas of the hospital, accepting assignments within competency level.
- Effectively applies prioritization and time management to patient’s care.
- Assists in all aspects of care in the environment.
- Adheres to all policy and procedures.
- Ensures that patient has a signed consent present in the chart prior to procedure.
- Education: Graduate of an accredited nursing program required.
- Licensure/Certification: Registered Nurse with current state licensure or licensure from a state within the Nursing Compact required. BLS certification required within 30 days of employment and prior to providing direct patient care. Successful completion of AHA approved course in ACLS within 30 days of employment required for all experienced RNs in all nursing areas. Successful completion of AHA-approved course in ACLS within 90 days of employment required for new graduate RNs (less than 12 months experience) in all nursing areas.
- Experience: Minimum of one year adult, acute care with cardiology/cardiovascular RN-level experience preferred.
Arkansas Heart Hospital - 19 months ago