For over 30 years, in more than 90 countries, IntraHealth International has empowered health workers to better serve communities in need. IntraHealth fosters local solutions to health care challenges by improving health worker performance, strengthening health systems, harnessing technology, and leveraging partnerships.
In collaboration with governments, nongovernmental organizations, and private-sector organizations around the world, IntraHealth champions the needs and contributions of health workers—from doctors and nurses to community health workers to health facility managers—and works to ensure they have the tools, supplies, information, training, and support they need to provide communities they serve with the best possible opportunity for health and well-being.
IntraHealth International is seeking a Proposal Development Manager to be based in the Chapel Hill, North Carolina office.
The Proposal Development Manager contributes to the strategic growth of the organization. The Proposal Development Manager assembles and leads teams of varying sizes in order to complete proposals for government, foundation, and corporate donors. S/he manages the strategic development and compilation of proposal documents, including editing and limited writing. The position conducts research related to potential funding opportunities and organizational growth areas. S/he successfully manages numerous initiatives simultaneously. The position is responsible for the high quality submission of all donor-related requirements by internally or externally-imposed deadlines. The position researches and writes documents for communication of technical areas of expertise to donor audiences. S/he contributes to the larger strategic development of the Program Development Department and serves in various roles as needed to support the unit and other units within the organization. The position develops and maintains specialized knowledge of specific regions, countries, and technical areas of interest to the organization. S/he represents the organization externally with partners and donors, and liaises internally with the various organizational units and project and country offices.
This position is part of the Program Development Department and reports to the Program Development Assistant Director or Director. The Proposal Development Manager may supervise Program Development Officers, Specialists, and/or Associates.
• Contributes to the decision-making process regarding which opportunities to pursue and how to maintain and grow IntraHealth’s global portfolio.
• Manages workflow to achieve high quality results.
• Prepares organization to pursue funding opportunities, including pre-solicitation research, identification of consultants, staff recruitment, identification of potential partners and competition, on-the-ground reconnaissance, etc.
• Builds relationships with local and international organizations.
• Negotiates with partners prior to and during bid preparation.
• Manages donor funding requests, maintaining accountability for final product, which includes leading proposal teams within given timeframe, setting and monitoring of internal deadlines, ensuring high quality of proposal components, and completion of components in compliance with donor requirements.
• Supports field leaders and technical staff to proactively seek donor support for organization initiatives, including researching, assembling team, managing program design process, and completing documents to donor specification and organizational quality standards.
• Ensures budget and contractual components of proposal are accurate and complete in collaboration with program, finance, and contracts teams
• Supports the identification and recruitment of personnel, creates job descriptions, and prepares a staffing plan for proposals and other fund-seeking activities.
• Writes, reviews, and/or edits proposal and other funding-related documents, particularly corporate capability statements, staffing and management plans, budget narratives, cost share plans, past performance references, key personnel bios, and graphics.
• Represents IntraHealth to an array of external clients and stakeholders, such as partner agencies and technical consultants.
• Liaises with project managers, program staff, and field staff to a) collect and manage organizational information and knowledge; b) seek strategic opportunities for technical growth, synergy, cost share; c) obtain forecasting and contact information for strategic business development processes.
• Researches funding opportunities and prepares analyses to identify and pursue support for programs.
• Builds organizational knowledge and ability to procure government funds, including providing assistance and training in proposal development to the staff.
• Serve as formal liaison between on-going funded project(s) and Program Development team.
Master’s Degree with 4+ years relevant experience; or Bachelor’s degree with 6+ years relevant experience. Direct experience with US Government procurements, preferably USAID. At least 4 years project management experience. Knowledge of international health field/funding, funding applications, and/or general fundraising experience. Ability to travel required.
• Exceptionally organized and detail oriented
• Ability to handle stress and long hours
• Enthusiasm for working in a fast-paced environment
• Ability to direct multiple projects, setting deadlines and monitoring activities of self and others diplomatically to timely completion.
• Excellent writing and editing skills and computer literacy in Word, Excel, Power Point, Adobe.
• Fluency in English required; proficiency in a second language, preferably French, a plus.