ASPIRA of Florida, Inc. (http://www.aspirafl.org) is seeking an entrepreneurial President & CEO to build on its 30 year track record of service to Latino and other minority youth through charter schools and youth leadership development programs.
The ASPIRA National Association is a nationally recognized and respected non-profit community-based organization, founded in 1961 in New York by Puerto Rican and other Latino community leaders who recognized the vital role that education plays in the economic, social and political development of minority communities in the United States. ASPIRA of Florida, Inc. was established in 1981 to extend ASPIRAs mission to the state of Florida.
The overall purpose of ASPIRA of Florida, Inc. is to foster the social advancement of the Puerto Rican/Latino and other minority communities, by empowering its youth in the pursuit of educational excellence, through leadership development projects that emphasize commitment to the community. While organized primarily to assist Puerto Rican and other Latino youth, ASPIRA also serves a broad minority population seeking its services.
Our mission is to develop a better educated, more community conscious and committed Puerto Rican, Latino and other minority youth. Central to this mission are five major organizational priorities designed to prepare our youth as the future leaders of our community:
1. To increase the High School graduation rate among Puerto Rican, Latinos and other minority youth.
2. To increase the access to postsecondary educational opportunities for low income, college-able Puerto Rican/Latino and other minority youth.
3. To develop the leadership potential of youth and foster a commitment to dedicating their skills to the advancement of the community.
4. To motivate, orient and assist the youth in their intellectual, personal and cultural development through advisement, counseling and educational services.
5. To advocate for greater access to quality education and leadership opportunities for Puerto Rican, Latino and other minority youth.
ASPIRA of Florida, Inc. is governed by a 15-member board of directors comprised of educators, community and business leaders, and current youth involved with the ASPIRA programs. Regional and youth advisory councils guide the work of ASPIRA and connect it to communities served. The organizations annual operating budget is $12,600,000. Current staffing includes a total of 187 members, approximately 30 of whom serve in the Youth Leadership Development Division and the balance in ASPIRAs three Charter Schools and Corporate staff.
ASPIRA of Florida is led by an experienced management team developed by the former President& CEO Raul Martinez who served ASPIRA of Florida, Inc. for nearly 25 years before passing away in May 2010. Aymet Chaples, currently the Chief Operations Officer, is serving as Interim President & CEO.
Programs and Accomplishments
ASPIRA opened three charter middle schools from 1998-2001 in Miami-Dade County, and operates Youth Leadership Development programs in Broward, Miami-Dade and Palm Beach Counties. Close to 3,300 youth were provided with services from both the Charter Schools and Youth Leadership Development programs during 2009-2010.
ASPIRA of Florida, Inc. divides all program operations into two major categories:
1) Charter Schools - the ASPIRA Charter Schools are middle school environments creating an educational atmosphere that will produce positive outcomes by raising FCAT scores, improving student achievement, increasing school attendance, improving student behavior, and promoting parental involvement for our students and their families. In the ASPIRA Charter Schools, students benefit from a small classroom environment, innovative instruction, dedicated teachers, parent involvement, and a commitment to serving the community.
2) Youth Leadership Development Outreach Program Divisions- develops the leadership capacity of youth by engaging them in
TopSchoolJobs.org - 3 years ago
copy to clipboard