The PeaceHealth Laboratories central laboratory location in Eugene/Springfield, Oregon has an immediate opening for the position of Laboratory Supervisor in Molecular Diagnostics. PeaceHealth Laboratories is part of the not-for-profit PeaceHealth health care system, with medical centers, critical access hospitals, medical group clinics and laboratories in Oregon, Washington, and Alaska.
This position is located in Eugene-Springfield, the third largest metro area in the state. Home of the University of Oregon, Eugene boasts cultural amenities typical of much bigger cities, from the Jordan Schnitzer Museum of Art to the world-famous Oregon Bach Festival. Our flagship hospital, Sacred Heart Medical Center at RiverBend, is located on the banks of the scenic McKenzie River in Springfield. Follow the river a few miles upstream for pristine fly-fishing and whitewater rafting. The Pacific Ocean is an hour's drive to the west, the Cascade Mountains an hour to the east, with Central Oregon's recreational playground just a few miles farther.
PeaceHealth's community of health care professionals based in western Lane County includes:
The successful candidate, for the position of Molecular Diagnostics Supervisor, will be involved with planning and supervising the administrative and technical activities in the Molecular Diagnostics laboratory. In addition to oversight of day-to-day production, this role will require the independence and experience to be directly involved in new test development and validation of new molecular assays. The responsibilities will include working with key stakeholders toward best outcomes for evidence-based patient care. This position reports to the Director of Operations for the Central Laboratory and will work closely with both the Senior Clinical Scientist and director of Molecular Diagnostics to provide training, technical troubleshooting and new test development. This position is ideal for an individual with scientific training, experience in molecular diagnostic testing and an interest in administration and management. This position offers the opportunity to work with both dynamic operational and scientific teams in a strong and growing not-for-profit clinical reference laboratory. This position will oversee and have responsibility for both the Springfield, Oregon and Vancouver, Washington molecular work teams with a requirement of regular travel to each location (to be discussed with qualified candidates).
- Sacred Heart Medical Center is a two-campus hospital and the largest hospital between Portland and San Francisco
- Cottage Grove Community Hospital, serving the rural communities of south Lane County
- PeaceHealth Medical Group, serving Eugene/Springfield and Cottage Grove
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities
1. Manage day to day workflow for two laboratory locations.
2. Manage projects for work team(s), including new test development (initial consideration, business plan development, implementation planning as well as orchestration).
3. Participates in new test development (FDA approved, FDA modified, laboratory developed).
4. Monitors the overall services, developing quality and performance indicators, gathering data for analysis as well as ensuring continuous improvement to optimize patient care and stewardship of resources.
5. Participates in bringing new technology on line to meet the team productivity and quality goals and leads the implementation of new processes, procedures, IT interfaces, and equipment.
6. Schedules logical and smooth flow of work through work center and ensures timely completion of all work orders. Provides periodic status reports.
7. Responsible for the selection, training, performance management including annual performance evaluations and schedules of assigned staff. Participates in corrective actions of assigned staff.
8. Works with department leadership and caregivers to develop training and competencies and maintains documentation on training, competencies as well as quality measurements.
9. Works with leadership to assist in the development and ongoing oversight of policies, procedures, budget, and enhancements to the delivery of patient care, revenue generation and operations of the department.
10. Participates in establishing preventative maintenance for facility assets in the molecular laboratories using department policy as a guide
11. Performs and oversees staff to work in accordance with regulatory requirements, policies/procedures and departmental standards in regards to safety, disasters, handling/disposal of hazardous materials and chain of custody.
12. Performs other duties as assigned.
Associate's Degree in Molecular Diagnostics, Chemistry, Biological Sciences, Health Care or equivalent required.
Bachelor's degree preferred.
Minimum of three years clinical or hospital laboratory experience required.
Molecular diagnostics experience with an emphasis on lab developed assays preferred.
Certified Medical Laboratory Technician (MLT) by American Society for Clinical Pathology (ASCP) or equivalent OR Licensed Medical Technologist, ASCP or equivalent
Working knowledge of specimen collection, preparation, and test requirements and factors affecting test interpretation in responding to inquiries.
Good written and verbal communication skills.
Working knowledge of computer systems such as Microsoft Windows, and Microsoft Office programs.
Mathematical ability to calculate fractions, percentages, ratios, proportion measurements and apply practical algebra.
General understanding of laboratory equipment to calibrate and do minor repairs.
PeaceHealth - 23 months ago
PeaceHealth, based in Vancouver, Wash., is a not-for-profit Catholic health system offering care to communities in Washington, Oregon, and...