Make San Jose State University Your University of Choice
Job Title: Lead Custodian
Job ID: 13977
Full/Part time: Full-time
Department: Custodial Services
Classification: Lead Custodian
Anticipated Hiring Salary:$2677-$3186
Salary Range: $2677-$4204
FLSA status: Non-exempt
About the Position
The Lead Custodian will mentor, provide guidance, train and instruct a group of Custodians in proper use of equipment, supply materials, chemicals, and accepted custodial techniques; and assist Custodians in the performance of their duties.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
A Lead Custodian serves on an area or crew basis and leads approximately 8 to 12 Custodians. Lead Custodians regularly perform custodial work as part of their normal duties. Must be able to accommodate a work schedule that varies according to operational needs and includes evening and weekend hours.
- Make inspections, report equipment and repair needs
- Report absences of personnel and assist in the evaluation of subordinates’ performance
- Assist with moving of furniture and equipment in Facilities arrangements for special events
- Plan, schedule and coordinate personnel and work assignments using Computer or manual methods
- Use Computer for communication, research of tools and supplies, documentation of job-specific details, and creation of reports
- Clean vertical/horizontal surfaces and fixtures for proper sanitary environment, which includes the following: hand tools such as brooms, mops, dusters, poles, squeegees, buckets, carts, and vacuum cleaner for cleaning
- Replenish paper goods and soaps
- Operate various types of floor care machinery including floor scrubbers, vacuums, and carpet cleaners
- Mix chemicals and solutions to be used for cleaning
- Operate utility cart, pick-up truck, scissor lift and forklift (as certified) to transport personnel, equipment and waste materials
- Operate radio or cellular phone for communication of urgent needs, critical information and status updates
- Respond promptly to, and assist with urgent needs in order to prevent injury, damage or further incident
Education and Experience
Must be able to read and write English at a level appropriate for the duties of the position and have two years of full-time custodial or janitorial experience which has included providing on-the-job training and leadership to others.
A valid California Driver’s License is required at the time of hire for the operation of any vehicle required for this position. Must be able to successfully complete the Defensive Driver Training Program provided by the State of California for CSU campuses, and pass the course exam.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Demonstrated knowledge of the methods, materials, chemicals, and equipment used in custodial work and of the safety and sanitation and measures required.
- Working knowledge of effective lead/supervisory practices and techniques.
- Ability to provide lead work direction, including training others in proper work methods and safety and providing feedback on work performance.
- Ability to operate alone and within a team environment communicating with supervision personnel.
- Thorough knowledge of and the ability to use different types of custodial equipment. Demonstrated skills on floor care.
- Ability to use custodial systems such as computers to track work orders and order supplies and materials, as well as two-way radios for communication.
- Ability to safely move up to 50 pounds.
- Ability to function cooperatively in a diversified working environment.
- Ability to maintain cooperative working relationships with administrators, faculty, staff, coworkers, and students.
- Ability to analyze situations and take effective action.
Ideal candidates will have lead and/or supervisory experience; custodial experience; and experience with custodial materials, chemicals, and methods.
January 14, 2011
First Screening Date
January 28, 2011
This position is open until filled; however, applications received after the first screening date will be considered at the discretion of the university.
Required Application Materials
Letter of Interest
SJSU Online Employment Application: To apply, please visit our website at: http://my.sjsu.edu/jobs/
The Work Experience section is required for an application to be complete.
Note to the Applicant
Evidence of degree(s) or certification(s) may be required at time of hire. Every applicant who reaches the final level of interviews will be required to submit their fingerprints to the Livescan Prints Service through the University's Police Department. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure.
Equal Employment Statement
SJSU is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender status, marital status, pregnancy, age, disability, or covered veteran's status consistent with applicable federal and state laws. Reasonable accommodations will be provided for applicants with disabilities who self disclose.
University Shared Values
Learning: Valuing Education and promoting life-long learning.
Student and Employee Success: Placing our highest priority on academic success and personal growth.
Excellence: Setting the highest standards in all we do.
Integrity: Being honest, fair and accountable for our actions.
Diversity: Respecting diversity and recognizing the strength this factor brings to our community.
Community: Valuing collaborative relationships.
One Washington Square San Jose, CA 95192-0046
Phone: 408-924-2250 Fax: 408-924-1784 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Copyright ©2009 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency
BAJobs.com - 3 years ago