This course is designed to enhance specific skills related to the career pathway and to teach skills that are necessary for entry-level employment in the industry. In this course, the worksite is considered the classroom. This position serves meals to restaurant patrons, assist in basic prepping of meals, and cashier duties.
- Hands on and demonstration, one-on-one guidance, guided practice and independent practice.
- Greet customers entering establishment
- Receive payment b
- y cash, check, credit card, voucher, or automatic debit
Count money in cash drawers at the beginning of shifts to ensure that amounts are correct and that there is adequate change
Calculate total payments received during a time period and reconcile this with total sales.
Compute and record totals of transactions and sort, count, and wrap currency and coins
Maintain clean and orderly checkout areas
- Escort customers to their tables.
- Explain how various menu items are prepared, describing ingredients and cooking methods.
- Inform customers of daily specials.
- Serve food and/or beverages to customers
- Check with customers to ensure that they are enjoying their meals and take action to correct any problems.
- Observes diners to respond to any additional requests and to determine when meal has been completed.
- Prepare checks that itemize and total meal costs and sales taxes.
- Remove dishes and glasses from tables or counters, and take them to kitchen for cleaning.
- Stock service areas with supplies such as coffee, food, tableware, and linens.
- Garnishes and decorates dishes preparatory to serving
- Ladle soup, toss salads, portion pies and desserts, brew coffee and perform other services as determined
- Stores food in designated areas
- Cleans work areas, equipment and utensils, segregates and removes garbage, and cleans garbage containers.
- Other duties as assigned
There are no supervisory responsibilities associated with this position.
Education and/or Experience:
- High school senior
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Demonstrates a good attitude and willingness to learn
- Ability to work as a member of a team
- Develop and maintain a work ethic necessary for success in the workplace that includes honesty, integrity, dependability, punctuality, self-discipline initiative, and reliability
- Basic knowledge of the food industry
- Basic knowledge of mathematical/money; addition, subtract, multiply, ect.
- Excellent customer service skills
- Understanding and knowledge of safety, sanitation and food handling procedures.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations:
- Ability to obtain Food Workers Card http://www.dec.alaska.gov/eh/fss/fwc/fwc_home.html
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to be able to occasionally stand; walk; sit; use hands and/or fingers to handle, or feel objects, tools or controls; operate office equipment, reach with hands and arms; climb stairs; balance; stoop; kneel; talk or hear; taste or smell. The employee must occasionally lift and or move up to 25 pounds.
Work is performed primarily indoors in a restaurant, heated/freezer environment. Some exposure to weather conditions while working outside of the restaurant when performing other tasks on the facility.