The Operations Technician 2 position requires a highly skilled individual with advanced technical expertise working on a complex IP, switching, and transport network; including maintenance and provisioning assignments and equipment installation. The position would serve as a field technical resource for two major Los Angeles facilities (comprised of two buildings with multiple floors and suites). This position requires strong knowledge of products from multiple vendors, strong inside plant technical expertise, and problem solving skills to resolve complicated issues at these sites.
The position includes the following duties:
- Ensure that all aspects of daily operations are conducted in accordance with the CenturyLink Unifying Principles and Vision.
- Interface and work to ensure seamless integration with various business units including Construction, Engineering, Network Control Centers, Planning, Project Management, and Provisioning.
- Coordinating across functions (cross-network and cross-organization) to ensure timely delivery.
- Interact with various contractors, LECs, collocation, customers, and vendors.
- Able to use a PC/laptop and associated programs. Basic knowledge of Microsoft Office (Outlook, Excel, and Word) and Microsoft Internet Explorer.
- Utilize and perform duties on all required software applications.
- Uses vendor's technical manuals (printed or electronic) to find pertinent information regarding operation/maintenance of equipment.
- Performs remote access via telnet or direct connect to network equipment to determine possible troubles and propose course of action to correct deficiencies.
- Follow operational documentation including guidelines, policies, processes, and standards.
- Read and interpret engineering documentation including but not limited to Scope of Work (SOW) and Engineer Design Package (EDP); while being able to communicate feedback and provide corrections through redlining.
- Interpret, follow, and critique method of procedure (MOP) related to any job function or equipment for which technicians are responsible.
- Accurately maintain site equipment inventory using Life Cycle Asset Manager (LCAM).
- Accurately and punctually submitting weekly timesheets of hours and activities worked using SAP.
- Retrieve and work scheduled maintenance work through Work Delivery System (WDS) and Work & Force Administration Dispatch In (WFA/DI).
- Maintain housekeeping on all assigned areas/sites.
- Perform routine maintenance on various equipment including alarming, generators, IP, switch, transport, and DC plants through Work Delivery System (WDS).
- Work with vendors and supervise work on site environmental support systems (i.e. building maintenance, fire systems, generators, and HVAC systems).
- Retrieve and work provisioning orders through Work & Force Administration Dispatch In (WFA/DI).
- Comprehensive understanding of overall provisioning and circuit design while utilizing Logical Inventory Management Systems (LIMS).
- Construct, install, and test DS3 (coax) cross-connects.
- Install and test optical jumpers.
- Possess strong to high technical skill level at equipment installation with a knowledge of Telcordia Central Office/Network Environment Equipment Installation/Removal Generic Requirements (GR-1275-CORE).
- Retrieve and work trouble tickets through Work & Force Administration Dispatch In (WFA/DI).
- Utilize software and hardware to identify, diagnose, and resolve complex network problems involving inside/outside plant, power, and digital cross connect systems, narrowband and broadband services and associated equipment.
- Competent in testing and troubleshooting of DS3 and optical circuits, and the use of associated test equipment.
- Work under the direction of the NCC to perform equipment- level troubleshooting.
- Perform fiber analysis functions for splice activities, fault locating/fiber restoration, and new turn-ups, by utilizing OTDR and power meter equipment.
- Test and troubleshoot DC power related equipment (batteries, BDFBs, inverters, power boards, plant controllers, and rectifiers)
Position will require incumbent to have flexible work schedule and must be available to work various hours, including holidays and off hour call duty.
Must be able to prioritize multiple activities and projects, with the ability to quickly shift priorities due to business needs.
Must be able to perform under pressure.
Must negotiate time frames for completion and meet critical deadlines.
- Excellent technical telecommunication knowledge of inside plant environment, fiber, DWDM, SONET, IP, Ethernet, and switching technologies with troubleshooting and installation experience in these technologies.
- Must be able to learn new technologies that are continually being added to the network to meet the needs of the customer base.
- Be able to support operations and network disruptions caused during disaster situations.
- Posses a valid state vehicle operator’s license and a satisfactory driving record in accordance with applicable state law(s).
- Must reside in within the geographical area of assigned responsibilities.
- Must provide support for on-call rotation and be able to respond after-hours, weekends, and holidays.
- Ability to climb and work from ladders exceeding 6 feet.
- Must be able to perform strenuous physical activities including, but not limited to: moving objects weighing at least 50 pounds.
- Must be able to work well with others to achieve common goals and to foster a cooperative climate.
- Associate or undergraduate degree in a related field or equivalent work experience (typically 3-5 years of relevant experience).
- Knowledgeable in metropolitan and long-haul fiber optic networks; IP equipment (Alcatel-Lucent, Cisco and Juniper); transport equipment (Nortel, Ciena/ONI, Cisco, Alcatel-Lucent, Fujitsu, and Tellabs); switch equipment (Nortel DMS-250 and Sonus NGS); and power (DC power plants, AC switch gear, and generators).
- Must be willing and able to work with other co-workers to complete job assignments.
CenturyLink is an industry-leading provider of communications, high speed Internet and entertainment services from coast to coast. Our combination of business and residential service solutions – including home and wireless voice solutions and digital television – provide innovative solutions to our customers. CenturyLink is proud to be a participant in the U.S. General Services Administration Networx program, the largest communications services contract in the world. CenturyLink offers you the opportunity to develop and cultivate your career as we lead the communications industry into the future.
The above job definition information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job. Job duties and responsibilities are subject to change based on changing business needs and conditions.
Qwest Communications - 9 months ago