This position will be responsible for conducting material tests and writing reports on components submitted to the Metallurgical Laboratory primarily supporting commercial and off-highway vehicle products related to Carburizing, Neutral Hardening, Induction Hardening, Induction Normalizing, Shot Peening, and Manganese Phosphate Coating.
• Provide materials analysis related to manufacturing, product, supplier and customer concerns.
• Approve engineering/supplier sample materials per specifications and failure analysis of engineering/supplier and vehicle test components.
• Involves complete sample preparation and metallographic examination, hardness testing, chemical analysis, photo documentation, non-destructive evaluation.
• Arrange testing at outside sources as necessary.
• Interpret results, write reports and effectively communicate with others including but not limited to internal/external customers, suppliers, and Divisional Quality Engineering.
• Occasional involvement with non-ferrous materials including but not limited to coatings.
• Responsible for maintaining, calibrating and servicing Metallurgical Laboratory Testing equipment.
• Prepare standards and specifications for processes and tests.
• Responsible for developing and maintaining Process Control Plan and PFMEA that will improve productivity & customer satisfaction.
• Troubleshoot process and product for corrective action and preventive maintenance utilizing Root Cause Analysis Methods (8D).
• Evaluate new technology within carburizing, hardening, normalizing, and peening processes.
• Develops & implements continuous improvement projects involving tooling, processes and procedures to improve quality, productivity, safety (OSHA), and ergonomics.
• Responsible for implementation of capital projects and engineering projects as assigned. Appropriate planning skills should be utilized to ensure projects are completed on time & meet customer demands.
• Responsible for maintaining CQI-9 compliance in heat treat department and metallurgical lab and participate in ISO and/or ISO14001 activities in the department.
• Responsible for temperature uniformity surveys (pyrometry) in the heat treat department.
• Responsible for reviewing metallurgical and heat treat PPAPs from various suppliers.
• Assist/advise plant and divisional purchasing groups with steel selection and substitutions.
• Work with heat treat technicians in troubleshooting Carburizing and other heat treat problems as well as monitoring and assisting with Heat Treat Controls equipment.
• Other duties as assigned by supervisor.
• Serves on teams and committees as needed.
• Bachelors degree in Metallurgical Engineering or may consider equivalent education and metallurgical/materials experience.
• Two or more years manufacturing or engineering experience involving the use of steel, iron, induction hardening, and carburizing preferred.
• Knowledge of non-ferrous metals, welding, and coatings preferred.
• Must have knowledge including but not limited to hardness, tension-compression, fatigue, and corrosion testing plus chemical analysis and microscopic evaluation techniques.
• Strong interpersonal skills to work with people at all levels within and outside Dana in a professional manner and the ability to work in a team environment.
• Demonstrated computer proficiency in a Windows environment utilizing Microsoft Office, Lotus Notes, and other computer software applications.
• Good mechanical aptitude and the ability to read design prints.
• Must be capable of performing duties with limited supervision.
• Must be self-motivated and willing to accept responsibility.
• Must have good written and verbal communication and presentation skills.
• Must have strong time management and organizational skills.
• Must be able to travel occasionally.
• Must be able to occasionally work overtime during the week and on weekends when needed.
When it comes to building cars, it starts with the parts, and Dana makes the parts that carmakers use to piece together new vehicles. In...